Cat eye issue

mommytobuck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
For over a year my cat has been having these spontaneous watery eyes. I tried everything but... today we had a nasty thunderstorm -- that my cat is deathly afraid of.. and Both eyes, as opposed to one, were all watery afterward. When I looked it up I came up with high blood pressure. Could high blood pressure be the issue? If so can I do anything naturally?

flybear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
one of my cats had issues with tummy, eyes and ears his entire life ... ( it is the reason we kept this foster) ... according to my vet ... eye discharge isn't necessarily something to worry about unless it is pus like, crusty and looks like an infection. Cats get allergies just like we do, sometimes a tear duct can be malformed especially in short nosed breeds, some animals can have eye lashes or fur, that irritate the eyes or inward turned eyelids with the eye lashes rubbing ... Tearing can be due to food intolerance, stress and cat acne. My vet recommended an eye wash with boric acid ( you can look the concentration up online) which works antibacterial and anti fungal and terramycin ointment for infection ... we were never able to completely get rid of the symptoms but they are under control with food and occasional treatment ...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mommytobuck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well he was definitely stressed. He also hasn't gotten his usual rest because the thunderstorms just won't let up. The discharge is a little brown. At one point it was just ONE eye, now it seems to be two.

mommytobuck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
And the other thing is that his eyes seem all dilated. Now of course.. it is dark here... and last night without power was super dark, but his eyes being dilated seem odd.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If the eyes are dilated and not responding well to light changes, you need to see a vet. Combined with a dark discharge it is concerning and could signal something more serious.

That said, my girl hit her head hard enough a little over a year ago to cause bleeding in her eyes and temporary blindness in one eye. I only knew because one eye was dilated and not responsive to light. After about a week it went back to normal. But I did see a vet to make sure it was not something more serious and we only say it was she hit her head because after checking everything else that was all that was left. I also have a cat who gets watery eyes on and off throughout the year with no real concern. But that one I also saw a vet to make sure there wasn't something more serious behind.

Two different symptoms though would make me want to have a vet check it out.

mommytobuck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well given that my cat is beyond hysterical at Thunderstorms and yesterday we had a 3 hour one and today another one -- and likely a few more to come... I can't -- just yet- say the dilated eyes are not due to the pure terror and stress of the event. He also had not gotten much sleep over the past few days. Finally as it is clowdy here that could make it just dark enough inside for the eyes to remain dilated. If it does not get better after the storms subside I will take him to the vet.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you tried any calming agents with him such as Feliway or Comfort Zone diffusers to help destress? You could even try some Rescue Remedy for pets during storms.

mommytobuck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes. Doesn't work. I even feed him the "calming food". He seems better today. He got a good night's sleep last night without thunderstorms. We are set for two more days of them but I am hopeful it will not be so bad.

mommytobuck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So he recovered quite well after a good nights sleep. So he also has asthma. And sometimes what happens is that the sputum builds up and he throws up. About every 3 months. So my next theory is that the fluid build up in his lungs may somehow come out his eyes. So perhaps the dose of asthma medication needs to go up. I have done really well on a low dose for most of his life -- he was diagnosed at 8 and he is 14 now. But maybe he needs more. I will try this. I had thought it was his food but I got him off fish and it didn't work too well.

mommytobuck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just in case anyone finds this thread in the future... it was the lack of asthma meds. I think I got wise to it when BOTH eyes started watering. That was the first time that happened. This watery eye thing was happening all the time and I thought he was doing it by scratching his face or rubbing his face. But since June I have been sure to give him two puffs of his asthma meds (as opposed to the "one" I was doing before ) and no matter what he does to his face, rubs it, scratches it, no matter, no watery eyes.