cat eye entropion surgery

Bajwa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi

My cat has just had entropion surgery. Its the next day since surgery and he is struggling to open one eye. Is this normal afrer surgery on the day afrer surgery?

His eye lids was allways rolling into eyes and causing infection, swelling and redness.

I appriciate any help

Thanks
Screenshot_20210127-182857_WhatsApp.jpg

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Obviously, call the vet with your concerns.

I'd think that his eye(s?) would be somewhat swollen for several days after this type of surgery let alone it would possibly be irritating to him since they have to keep the eye open during surgery for the procedure and that can be rather drying (though I'm sure they did lubricate as needed to help avoid that).

I assume the vet sent him home with pain and infection control meds? Sometimes they do these as long acting injections before they
release the cat from surgery so you wouldn't be handed any medications for home use.

Again, if you aren't sure it would say it on the paperwork or call the vet to doublecheck. If none given I'd ask why and if it's needed or not. Maybe they will allow you to send that photo so you don't have to stress him out by bringing him back in to see them.

Def keep the collar on as long as possible!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
My dog had eye surgery at a referral clinic 3 years ago and yes, if you have concerns, send the pic to the vet and ask for a reassurance. Eye surgery is irritating as sivyaleah sivyaleah said so I am not completely shocked that your boy is not up to par but that does not mean that there might not be an issue. At the very least, you paid a lot of money for this and no where in the surgery release did you sign an agreement to keep all your concerns to yourself and not call with questions.