Cat expelled long worm

TofuHimmie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!

Exactly one week ago I gave my cat a prescribed deworming medication (bayer’s advantage). In addition to thatshe’s also been fed wet food to help with her diarrhea.

She was doing well until this morning when she woke me up, meowing very loudly. There was sticky poop marks on the fur near her anus, and I found that she has vomitted inside her sleeping box (watery, and there is a hairball but it isn’t in its normal log shape). When I checked her litter box one log of poo was left outside but it looks fine to me texture and smell-wise.

I cleaned her up and watched her then a few hours after she ate a little bit and almost immediately (i’d say about 15 mins after), she went to her litter box and expelled what I assumed is a quite long worm.. is this ok? What should I do next?

I have attached the video for those who aren’t squeamish.

Thanks for your help!

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you able to consult with your primary vet over the phone? That would be the ideal course of action, just for the reassurance from a trained professional :> You'd be able to send the video, as well.

That being said, pooping out dead worms after worming is normal in a cat that has worms. The dewormer won't get at worm larvae, though, so you need 2 to 3 more treatments to make sure your kitty is parasite-free. Here is an article from a vet practice on the topic ^^

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TofuHimmie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Are you able to consult with your primary vet over the phone? That would be the ideal course of action, just for the reassurance from a trained professional :> You'd be able to send the video, as well.

That being said, pooping out dead worms after worming is normal in a cat that has worms. The dewormer won't get at worm larvae, though, so you need 2 to 3 more treatments to make sure your kitty is parasite-free. Here is an article from a vet practice on the topic ^^
I’ve given her a call and left a message but she’s been busy it seems, she hasn’t called me back that’s why I’m turning to you all 😄
Thanks for the article I will read it and yes you’re right I have 2 more doses to go.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If what you saw is, in fact, a worm, it's BIG. I've not run across anything other than a tape worm anywhere NEAR that size. Do let us know what the vet says!