Cat essentials

cosmic11

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all,
I was wondering if anyone could make a list for me of the essentials I would need for a cat/kitten and recommend some stuff for me also. If someone has alread answered, I would still love to hear your thoughts and recommendations so let 'em rip. Thanks a lot!

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Definitely a litter box and litter, (the more the better, at least one on every floor), cat food and bowl, water bowl, soft blankets to lay on, a cat heating pad is much appreciated during the cold months. Some toys to play with, a wand is lots of fun for them and a kickeroo gets rid of lots of energy. I 'steep' an extra in a bag with catnip to keep them fresh and interesting. As you can afford, a cat tree is lots of fun, but the MAIN thing needed to have a happy cat is yourself and your love. You earn a cat's love and once you get it you find out it is one of life's treasures!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
IMO the bare basic essentials are food, litter, litter box, and a sturdy carrier for trips to the vet. Toys, cat furniture, etc are "extras" you can buy later.

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would have been lost in the early weeks without the pet fit for life wand toy with different attachments. Neko-chan doesn't really like feather toys and the one I bought came with feathers, a stuffed mouse, and a fuzzy tail. We found out she loves the rails and just buy more when she wears them out. Not having to buy a whole new you every time she mangles it saves us money.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cosmic11

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone! I'll make a spread sheet with what I think imma get and then I will show it to yall

squirrelfriend

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
OK. I was just wondering because I heard they make it easier to find your cat, but I can see it getting pretty annoying if it's dinging all the time.
Microchips are better for that hoenstly, you'll probably have a easy time getting that done with spay/neuter
bells can cause stress

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is cat furniture a must have?

A scratching post is a must have unless you want your sofa and other soft furniture shredded. Cat trees are nice to have. Cats love elevated spaces. Cat beds are a waste of money. Cats sleep wherever they want: your bed, the sofa, an empty box, the sink, etc.

Collar bells are pretty useless. Most of the time you don't hear the bell because a cat is stealthily walking around. If a collar comes with a bell, you can remove it.

cosmic11

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A scratching post is a must have unless you want your sofa and other soft furniture shredded. Cat trees are nice to have. Cats love elevated spaces. Cat beds are a waste of money. Cats sleep wherever they want: your bed, the sofa, an empty box, the sink, etc.

Collar bells are pretty useless. Most of the time you don't hear the bell because a cat is stealthily walking around. If a collar comes with a bell, you can remove it.
OK. Thanks!

cosmic11

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here is what I think I am going to buy and the links to them. Tell me if I'm missing anything or don't need something.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You don't need pet specific bowls. A glass or ceramic or stainless steel bowl from Target, dollar store, etc will work just as well. Some cats prefer to eat off flat plates or very wide bowls.

Litter scoops - go to the dollar store and get a slotted kitchen ladle. I use one that looks like this:

Kittens may not have a reaction to catnip so you may want to hold off on that. Some adults cats don't have a reaction either. Nether of my cats react to catnip.

Toys can be homemade. Empty toilet paper tubes, an empty pill bottle with one of those caps that you have to push down ad twist with something inside to rattle around (a few pieces of dry food or hard treats, I've used coins in the past, etc), a knotted old sock, bottle caps, etc. Some TCS threads with ideas:

Don't feel that you have to buy everything all at once. Get the basics for now. You can buy more things over time. Don't forget to check out the local pet stores for items that may not be found online. It's also great to support a local business rather than big Amazon or chain :agree:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
I think I'd stick with your choice of pet dish, but as mentioned it may be up to your cat ;)

About the grooming tool, there's one called a zoom groom that works and also slicker brushes can work even better. I never use my furminator anymore.

Chewy is having a sale on grooming tools and other things, and walmart can be another source for items such as litterboxes.

On the treats, you could consider freeze dried treats as a little healthier alternative, petco and petsmart will have those.

Your baby is going to be a fortunate feline :)

cosmic11

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You don't need pet specific bowls. A glass or ceramic or stainless steel bowl from Target, dollar store, etc will work just as well. Some cats prefer to eat off flat plates or very wide bowls.

Litter scoops - go to the dollar store and get a slotted kitchen ladle. I use one that looks like this:

Kittens may not have a reaction to catnip so you may want to hold off on that. Some adults cats don't have a reaction either. Nether of my cats react to catnip.

Toys can be homemade. Empty toilet paper tubes, an empty pill bottle with one of those caps that you have to push down ad twist with something inside to rattle around (a few pieces of dry food or hard treats, I've used coins in the past, etc), a knotted old sock, bottle caps, etc. Some TCS threads with ideas:

[/URL]
[/URL]
[/URL]
[/URL]

Don't feel that you have to buy everything all at once. Get the basics for now. You can buy more things over time. Don't forget to check out the local pet stores for items that may not be found online. It's also great to support a local business rather than big Amazon or chain :agree:
Ok. Thanks I'll check those out.
Hi!
I think I'd stick with your choice of pet dish, but as mentioned it may be up to your cat ;)

About the grooming tool, there's one called a zoom groom that works and also slicker brushes can work even better. I never use my furminator anymore.

Chewy is having a sale on grooming tools and other things, and walmart can be another source for items such as litterboxes.

On the treats, you could consider freeze dried treats as a little healthier alternative, petco and petsmart will have those.

Your baby is going to be a fortunate feline :)
Can you recommend a different brush?