Cat essentials

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cosmic11

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You don't need pet specific bowls. A glass or ceramic or stainless steel bowl from Target, dollar store, etc will work just as well. Some cats prefer to eat off flat plates or very wide bowls.

Litter scoops - go to the dollar store and get a slotted kitchen ladle. I use one that looks like this:

Kittens may not have a reaction to catnip so you may want to hold off on that. Some adults cats don't have a reaction either. Nether of my cats react to catnip.

Toys can be homemade. Empty toilet paper tubes, an empty pill bottle with one of those caps that you have to push down ad twist with something inside to rattle around (a few pieces of dry food or hard treats, I've used coins in the past, etc), a knotted old sock, bottle caps, etc. Some TCS threads with ideas:

[/URL]
[/URL]
[/URL]
[/URL]

Don't feel that you have to buy everything all at once. Get the basics for now. You can buy more things over time. Don't forget to check out the local pet stores for items that may not be found online. It's also great to support a local business rather than big Amazon or chain :agree:
What are the true basics? Also, is dry food or wet food better? Can anyone recommend some food?

squirrelfriend

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What are the true basics? Also, is dry food or wet food better? Can anyone recommend some food?
Dry cat food is unhealthy for cats, you should feed wet. Never feed dry. [source]
As for good catfoods, here's a list of decent options:
  1. Ziwi peak
  2. Feline natural
  3. Tiki cat
  4. Tiki cat after dark (no sunflower oil)
  5. Fancy feast
  6. Triumph
  7. Weruva
It is best to feed a rotation of varied foods for optimum health. Transition new foods slowly and properly.
Also, don't use a clay litter. Look up some natural litter options like pine litter.

cosmic11

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Dry cat food is unhealthy for cats, you should feed wet. Never feed dry. [source]
As for good catfoods, here's a list of decent options:
  1. Ziwi peak
  2. Feline natural
  3. Tiki cat
  4. Tiki cat after dark (no sunflower oil)
  5. Fancy feast
  6. Triumph
  7. Weruva
It is best to feed a rotation of varied foods for optimum health. Transition new foods slowly and properly.
Also, don't use a clay litter. Look up some natural litter options like pine litter.
Is this litter ok? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009X29WK/?tag=thecatsite

Sylvia Jones

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
As you will find out cats have their own personality’s and preferences. The same can be said about all of us on the site. I feed both dry kibble and wet. Mine prefer dry. Kittens should always have it avalible. As far as litter what you posted is an excellent brand I feed Dr elseys food too and have used his attract litter. But trial and error will show you what both you and your kitty can agree on. It seems you will be more than prepared. What a lucky kitty. Always post if you have a problem or just some cute pictures. Lots of opinions give way to lots of options. We can learn a lot together that way

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I posted this:

IMO the bare basic essentials are food, litter, litter box, and a sturdy carrier for trips to the vet. Toys, cat furniture, etc are "extras" you can buy later.
Your list is fine, really :) I just wanted to point out that there are things you may already have or can buy for cheap. Think outside of the box and re-purpose things as cat supplies.

Canned food is definitely preferred over dry. If you're getting a kitten, feed both dry and canned. Feed whatever brand of food the kitten / adult has been eating even if it's junk. Stress of being in a new home plus a new diet can result in an upset tummy and litter box issues. Let the kitten / adult settle in and then slowly transition to new food over a period of a week or so. You can get more advice and recommendations on food on the Nutrition forum here on TCS.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You and the cat may need to experiment with the litter, --there are some that are dustier than others and you may find that you need to combine litters so that you have the clumping but less dust.
The cat may have a preference against pellets, etc al.
For example I'm combining tidy cat unscented lightweight with litter maid's corncob or walnut litter, in open boxes--my boy is too big for an automatic box or covered box :)

cosmic11

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You and the cat may need to experiment with the litter, --there are some that are dustier than others and you may find that you need to combine litters so that you have the clumping but less dust.
The cat may have a preference against pellets, etc al.
For example I'm combining tidy cat unscented lightweight with litter maid's corncob or walnut litter, in open boxes--my boy is too big for an automatic box or covered box :)
Thanks! Ugg I hate being 13. I probably cant get a cat cuz of my parents. Time to do some convincing :)

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
In a couple years, you could consider volunteering at an animal shelter or rescue, and then when you move out on your own you'll have all the information you've gathered from here and from that experience for your own :)

cosmic11

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
In a couple years, you could consider volunteering at an animal shelter or rescue, and then when you move out on your own you'll have all the information you've gathered from here and from that experience for your own :)
I was going to do that to try to get a dog or a cat. My plan was volunteer, foster, adopt. Then COVID happened :(

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hang in there! There are companies working on virus vaccines and testing them etc, so hopefully we'll be able to start doing things relatively normally again.

cosmic11

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hang in there! There are companies working on virus vaccines and testing them etc, so hopefully we'll be able to start doing things relatively normally again.
I hope so. I think the safety of reopening and the safety of the vaccine greatly depends on whos running the country. (PLZ NOT FOUR MORE YEARS OF TRUMP :( AS A 13 YEAR OLD I CAN'T VOTE SO DO ME A FAVOR AND VOTE, JUST VOTE!) Anyways, I think it also depends on the shelter's policy on letting volunteers back and if all the people going in and out are vaccinated. Herd immunity is key so vaccinate! We vaccinate our cats so they should vaccinate their humans lol.

EmmaWilliam

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here is what I think I am going to buy and the links to them. Tell me if I'm missing anything or don't need something.
this chart is really helpful!