Cat Enema - when will he be “regular” again?

Kellynorrrris

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A little background info: on Friday night my cat had an enema at the vet, which worked to clear the 5/6 bowel movements he had blocking things up. Over the weekend, he’s slowly began eating and drinking more regularly and is peeing just fine. We’re not certain what caused the constipation in the first place but are now feeding wet food instead of dry.
The emergency vet said if the enema cleared the colon out, it may be a couple days until he has another BM. It’s now Monday night and his last BM was late Friday night. I'm beginning to worry he’s constipated again, but don’t want to go for another X-ray unless it is emergent.
Any experience with this? How long has it taken your cat to get back to “regular” after an enema? Thanks in advance for any insight.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He's a pretty boy! Sorry you're going through this with him. The constipation certainly could've been caused by the dry food. Often, the cat's body uses more of the wet food, since it's higher in water content and easier for the body to digest, so there's less waste. This combined with the colon cleanse is probably creating the lack of poop for now. Also, since he's not been eating large portions, his output will also be less.I would be concerned if he goes to the box and tries to poop, but nothing comes out or it's watery. I would give him another 24 hours and if he still has not produced anything, then I'd call the vet.

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh yes I remember that worry of not being sure if it's constipation again or the colon isn't full yet. Unfortunately it kind of depends on the cat. Friday to Monday sounds normal, but Delilah did have a few rounds of getting constipated again after an enema so it could happen. I had to make sure she was taking Miralax immediately after an enema. I'm also not sure what caused it, because she was always on all wet food. Probiotics (acidophilus) with every meal eventually fixed the problem for us. Even now if I skip it, she starts showing symptoms again.

Best of luck! I'd pay close attention for any signs of straining, and call the vet on Wednesday maybe.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kellynorrrris

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you everybody for the advice and support!! Like magic, Pimento went to the bathroom last night. He kept me up ALL night playing, so I thought he might finally be feeling better. And sure enough, he had gone to the bathroom in between playing. Tired this morning, but worth it and so happy!

Kellynorrrris

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh yes I remember that worry of not being sure if it's constipation again or the colon isn't full yet. Unfortunately it kind of depends on the cat. Friday to Monday sounds normal, but Delilah did have a few rounds of getting constipated again after an enema so it could happen. I had to make sure she was taking Miralax immediately after an enema. I'm also not sure what caused it, because she was always on all wet food. Probiotics (acidophilus) with every meal eventually fixed the problem for us. Even now if I skip it, she starts showing symptoms again.

Best of luck! I'd pay close attention for any signs of straining, and call the vet on Wednesday maybe.
Where do you get the probiotics and how do you give them to Delilah?

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Where do you get the probiotics and how do you give them to Delilah?
Oh good to hear! I give her human probiotics-PB8 Nutrition Now, L. acidophilus. Anything with acidophilus and a high cfu count is good. I keep them refrigerated because it takes a while to go through them. Half a capsule sprinkled on her food twice a day for maintenance, more if she's going through something. She likes the gelatin capsule so she'll even eat it out of my hand.

Lotusflwr79

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A little background info: on Friday night my cat had an enema at the vet, which worked to clear the 5/6 bowel movements he had blocking things up. Over the weekend, he’s slowly began eating and drinking more regularly and is peeing just fine. We’re not certain what caused the constipation in the first place but are now feeding wet food instead of dry.
The emergency vet said if the enema cleared the colon out, it may be a couple days until he has another BM. It’s now Monday night and his last BM was late Friday night. I'm beginning to worry he’s constipated again, but don’t want to go for another X-ray unless it is emergent.
Any experience with this? How long has it taken your cat to get back to “regular” after an enema? Thanks in advance for any insight.
Yes, my late cat of 16 years went through this. Please constantly monitor as this was the onset of kidney disease with my cat. Definitely don’t feed dry cat food anymore and make sure he constantly drinks water to keep hydrated. Getting one of the electric water fountains also helped my mothers cat that had kidney disease get more water intake. I gave my cat pre and probiotics to help her digestive system work properly. If your cat needs enemas often, please look into a proper diet to help kidney disease. Continuous enemas on a cat is not healthy and no way to live as they are extremely traumatic for a cat.

Last edited:

Kellynorrrris

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, my late cat of 16 years went through this. Please constantly monitor as this was the onset of kidney disease with my cat. Definitely don’t feed dry cat food anymore and make sure he constantly drinks water to keep hydrated. Getting one of the electric water fountains also helped my mothers cat that had kidney disease get more water intake. I gave my cat pre and probiotics to help her digestive system work properly. If your cat needs enemas often, please look into a proper diet to help kidney disease. Continuous enemas on a cat is not healthy and no way to live as they are extremely traumatic for a cat.
I’m sorry to hear about your cat but thank you for the info. Was the kidney disease indicated by bloodwork? Mine had some done at the emergency vet and everything looks good. Please let me know when you get a chance.

Lotusflwr79

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’m sorry to hear about your cat but thank you for the info. Was the kidney disease indicated by bloodwork? Mine had some done at the emergency vet and everything looks good. Please let me know when you get a chance.
Yes, they can tell by bloodwork. It’s good that his came out ok. Kidney disease is a very common issue with older cats. I’m unsure of how old your cat is, but just be aware of it since he’s already had a constipation issue. With my cat, and I know with my mother’s cat who died of kidney disease also, the first issue of constipation followed by enema, was the beginning of a few years worth of health problems. Make sure to have you vet check blood panels routinely to stay on top of it!

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, they can tell by bloodwork. It’s good that his came out ok. Kidney disease is a very common issue with older cats. I’m unsure of how old your cat is, but just be aware of it since he’s already had a constipation issue. With my cat, and I know with my mother’s cat who died of kidney disease also, the first issue of constipation followed by enema, was the beginning of a few years worth of health problems. Make sure to have you vet check blood panels routinely to stay on top of it!
Sorry to hijack the thread..but my soon to be 12yr in July had a enema done under anesthesia..they couldn't get anything do the one without anesthesia
It was done last month..May
And ever since hes been picky with his food
He weighed 15lbs initially
Before he got constipated..And he started loosing weight took him to vet n they said he was full of poop from the x-ray...How could he have been full of poop cause he had been going and using pooping in litter box
I asked the vet n they said he could still be constipated..and using litter box some
But now he is acting like hes constipated again..n hes lethargic..n seems like he just dont feel well
Ive contacted the vet
What advice or insight do you have???

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
What a handsome fellow!

Good for you!

You mentioned he started eating again slowly. It takes time for the digestive system to build up material after a cleanout.
Hang in there with him and be patient for a little longer :)
How long does it take for thr digestive system to build up after the procedure
My cat is going through something similar
Sorry to hijack thread
Was looking for cat constipation threads and found this one

Kellynorrrris

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry to hijack thread
Sorry to hijack thread
Hello. I’m sorry to hear your cat is having issues! I know the feeling. We really went through it with Pimento.

He had additional blood work done and all was well, which I recommend doing if you haven’t yet. Yet, he continued to get constipated.

The absolute miracle cure for us, and I was VERY skeptical, has been a diet change. He is now on the prescription only Royal Canin Gastrointestinal Response dry food. I completely swear by this food. It’s taken away all of Pimento’s issues and he acts like a new cat, and of course all of his constipation issues are gone. Without giving TOO much info, his bathroom habits are the best I’ve ever seen and he’s going twice a day...big, healthy movements. Drinking more water, exercising. He was really suffering and we didn’t even really know it.

If you read reviews for the stuff, others will say the same. They also say it’s the only food their old or sick cat will eat.

It is absolutely worth asking your vet about and trying. I can’t stress enough how much this has helped us. Good luck and keep us posted!

Kellynorrrris

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry to hijack thread
And to answer your question more directly, each time Pimento had an enema, he would go almost right away but then it took usually 2-3 days for him to go #2 again.

Lotusflwr79

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry to hijack the thread..but my soon to be 12yr in July had a enema done under anesthesia..they couldn't get anything do the one without anesthesia
It was done last month..May
And ever since hes been picky with his food
He weighed 15lbs initially
Before he got constipated..And he started loosing weight took him to vet n they said he was full of poop from the x-ray...How could he have been full of poop cause he had been going and using pooping in litter box
I asked the vet n they said he could still be constipated..and using litter box some
But now he is acting like hes constipated again..n hes lethargic..n seems like he just dont feel well
Ive contacted the vet
What advice or insight do you have???
When my cat was constipated often I completely took her off dry food and wet food only. Constipation means they’re dehydrated. Dry food can cause that if it’s all he/she is eating. Make sure they drink lots of water. The constipation could be caused by an underlying health issue like kidney disease that is diagnosed by a blood panel. Your vet can give you the proper food for your cat if it is kidney disease. This is a very common issue as cats become older. I think it’s not often discussed enough with cat owners. Progressive kidney disease in cats is very uncomfortable. It will also eventually require sub-cutaneous liquids every other day to keep your cat hydrated as it worsens. Many people go this route. I chose not to as my cat had end stage renal failure and I didn’t want to put her through it. I’d really talk to your vet and see if they can check if it’s early kidney disease. Your kitty still has years left, but you want them to enjoy the life they have, too!

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello. I’m sorry to hear your cat is having issues! I know the feeling. We really went through it with Pimento.

He had additional blood work done and all was well, which I recommend doing if you haven’t yet. Yet, he continued to get constipated.

The absolute miracle cure for us, and I was VERY skeptical, has been a diet change. He is now on the prescription only Royal Canin Gastrointestinal Response dry food. I completely swear by this food. It’s taken away all of Pimento’s issues and he acts like a new cat, and of course all of his constipation issues are gone. Without giving TOO much info, his bathroom habits are the best I’ve ever seen and he’s going twice a day...big, healthy movements. Drinking more water, exercising. He was really suffering and we didn’t even really know it.

If you read reviews for the stuff, others will say the same. They also say it’s the only food their old or sick cat will eat.

It is absolutely worth asking your vet about and trying. I can’t stress enough how much this has helped us. Good luck and keep us posted!
Yes hes had senior bloodwork
But I thought dry food made constipation worse
And how old is kitty
.Dont remember if you told in ure post or not

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
When my cat was constipated often I completely took her off dry food and wet food only. Constipation means they’re dehydrated. Dry food can cause that if it’s all he/she is eating. Make sure they drink lots of water. The constipation could be caused by an underlying health issue like kidney disease that is diagnosed by a blood panel. Your vet can give you the proper food for your cat if it is kidney disease. This is a very common issue as cats become older. I think it’s not often discussed enough with cat owners. Progressive kidney disease in cats is very uncomfortable. It will also eventually require sub-cutaneous liquids every other day to keep your cat hydrated as it worsens. Many people go this route. I chose not to as my cat had end stage renal failure and I didn’t want to put her through it. I’d really talk to your vet and see if they can check if it’s early kidney disease. Your kitty still has years left, but you want them to enjoy the life they have, too!
Kidney disease would show up on bloodwork..Right??