Cat Embroidery

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone!
I have a question for the embroiderers here:

My good friend is putting her cat down tomorrow, and I want to embroider her cats’ face onto something, but I don’t know what.

I don’t want to do a towel or a shirt, and I can’t think of anything else. I apologize in advance; I’m probably going to be picky because I want to make this really special for her.

Should I just do a piece of fabric? Or a piece of fabric and then put it in a frame?
Thank you!

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could get a square pillow form, made from either foam or fiberfill, embroider the cat on some sturdy cloth, and use it to cover the pillow form. (I've seen fiberfill pillow forms at Joann, and foam pillow forms at Walmart.) That way your friend could display her cat's picture on her sofa, and would have something soft to hug and cry on when the need arises. Be sure to get enough fabric to completely cover the pillow, of course. And we'd love to see pictures of your work.

Margret

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Margret Margret thank you.
That way your friend could display her cat's picture on her sofa, and would have something soft to hug and cry on when the need arises.
That’s so sweet :hearthrob: I like that idea a lot.
I will show the finished product, but I’m not the best at embroidering! Thank you very much.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
You could also embroider a pocket on a tote bag with her cat's picture on it. :lovecat:

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could also embroider a pocket on a tote bag with her cat's picture on it. :lovecat:
This has the advantages of being a smaller embroidery project and of being something useful. It has the disadvantages that you'd probably need to make the tote bag (surely no harder than covering a pillow form, though) and the possibility that seeing it on her arm might trigger a crying jag in the grocery store. Not arguing for or against, just pointing out the pros and cons.

If you go this route, I recommend that after you embroider the pocket, before you sew it to the tote bag you should add an extra layer of fabric to the back of the pocket, to protect the back side of your embroidery from snags and fraying from whatever she puts in the pocket.

Margret

Last edited:

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really love that idea a lot. I am wondering, though, as Margret Margret pointed out, if it would be hard for her to have to carry her with her everywhere. I’ll definitely mull over this idea as well, though. Thank you so much for the suggestion!!

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m kind of leaning towards just doing a simple frame. Do you think that is cheesey or too simple? My only concern with doing a bag or a pillow (although I do love those ideas, don’t get me wrong!) is that I’m an amateur and wouldn’t want to bite off more than I could chew.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally, I would do fabric and put it in a frame. My sister's frame does diamond dots and she did one of my heart kitty Swanie that is just beautiful and hanging on the wall in my dining room. I can't get a good picture of it because the computer reflects on the frame.

1623880912394.png

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
misty8723 misty8723 thank you! I think that’s what I’m leaning towards. Beautiful! I love diamond dots! 😍

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Alright, I bought the fabric. ere is a picture of her:
8105C5C9-28A1-4A4E-940F-20905A461BA4.jpeg

what color should I do? these are the browns I have:
CC1ED787-DE3A-4899-B279-FFDB6AD91EC6.jpeg

I can also layer colors (brown with different brown, brown with black, etc.) if that would look better.
sorry to keep asking so many questions, I just want to make sure it looks as good as I can make it 😊

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Awwww.... what a beautiful kitty. RIP sweet darling. :hearthrob::angel::hearthrob:

As for the colours, none of them really match her fur colour, at least not on my computer screen The closest is probably #3, and maybe adding some black with the brown would work. I like # 1 for her ear fluff. But honestly, I am not artistic at all, so not the person to be giving creative advice. And, you know, I'm sure it will look perfect in the end no matter which colours you choose.