Cat eating toilet paper

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Unless you are there every time he get into the TP, the easiest way to do it is to keep the bathroom door closed so he can't get into it at all

eyemcrazy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Having just learned a valuable lesson myself about sudden changes in behavior, I have some questions for you:

How old is the cat?
Is this something new or something he's always done?

If he's a kitten, I suspect it's just a childish quirk. My baby, Clarence, has a whole bag of annoying tricks. If he's an older cat, it could be a lack of something in his diet or some bigger problem that is not obvious.

Then again, if this is something he's always done, it may be just his own quirk, like my Wilbur pushing his water dish all over the kitchen floor. In that case, closing the bathroom door is your only solution. They say you can't teach an old dog new tricks. It's doubley true that you can't teach and old cat out of an old one!

lotsocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can balance a very small can of pennies or water on the toilet paper roll, then when the cat messes with the roll the pennies fall and make a loud noise or the water gets the cat (and everything else) wet. I've heard this works. As Sandie said, the easiest solution is to keep the tp out of your cat's reach.

vjoy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Do you have a vanity or cabinet under your sink? You could store the TP there, within easy reach of the toilet.

nightsowindy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree, try to keep the door closed as much as possible, and if that doesn't work try the penny thing. I think there is also some stuff that you can spray that stops the cat from going in that particular area (so you don't have to put it directly on the tp - heh heh) Hope everything works out! Oh, you could also see if your cat has a deficciancy (sp?) by looking it up in a book. Ask someone at your local bookstore, they'll probably be able to recommend one. Maybe something is lacking from you kitty's diet?

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
LOL, just had to share a story about the spray by Natures Miracle. I have a little girl who LOVES to eat the wicker baskets, so I sprayed the entire thing with this stuff. That little fart, jumped in while it was still wet...looked at me and took another bite and then layed down in the basket..hehe. I think I need to try another brand!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

deitz cerroni

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally posted by Sandie
Unless you are there every time he get into the TP, the easiest way to do it is to keep the bathroom door closed so he can't get into it at all
Good Idea Sandy,
but we keep the door closed as much as possible, and if someone forgets,(couldn't be me:blush) he gets in it and makes a huge mess. I think we might try the pennies idea, but with a mouse trap. Cheerieo used to get in plants until we put mouse traps in them.Thanks for the suggestion.

From,Deitz's daughter, (Cheerieo's owner)
Hanna

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

deitz cerroni

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally posted by lotsocats
You can balance a very small can of pennies or water on the toilet paper roll, then when the cat messes with the roll the pennies fall and make a loud noise or the water gets the cat (and everything else) wet. I've heard this works. As Sandie said, the easiest solution is to keep the tp out of your cat's reach.
Nice idea,
But instead of pennies or water, we might try mouse traps, it worked with the plants!
Thanks for your suggestion,
Sincerely,
Deitz's daughter,
Hanna

lotsocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Make sure that you put the traps upside down. If they are righ side up the cat's paws or nose could be broken by the impact. Pennies are a lot safer!

vikki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Don't be surprised if you end up just having to store the TP somewhere at all times.
Cats seem to know when they're safe from the startling effects of a water bottle or loud sound. But, you might at least have better luck with something that startles the cat when you're not around (otherwise, Cheerieo might just associate the startling with you...so when you're not around...off he goes again!).
A friend's cat is a total paper maniac. He even attacks the newspaper since it is pushed under the apt door when it's delivered. My friend has given up on various tactics and now just keeps the TP tucked away...and then warns guests where it is
I'm guessing if Cheerieo sees the TP spin on the roll he just thinks that's a swell game
Vikki