Cat eating the dog's dog food and his own cat food

empirefalls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My dog with arthritis is now eating this twice a day. Dogswell Happy Hips Duck & Sweet Potato Stew Recipe Grain-Free Canned Dog Food.
My senior male cat, of course, is eating this dog food too. My Cat eats fancy feast cat food every day too, but of course he has to go over and eat the dog food too.
Can anyone see anything bad or dangerous for my cat in the ingredients of the dog food?

Happy Hips
Dogswell Happy Hips Duck & Sweet Potato Stew Recipe Grain-Free Canned Dog Food, 13-oz, case of 12 - Chewy.com

Nutritional Info
Ingredients
Duck, Chicken Broth, Chicken Liver, Chicken, Salmon, Dried Egg Product, Peas, Potato Starch, Sweet Potatoes, Carrots, Red Peppers, Guar Gum, Natural Flavor, Sodium Phosphate, Shrimp Meal (Source of Glucosamine), Canola Oil (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols- a Source of Vitamin E), Spinach, Garlic Powder, Flaxseed Oil, Squash, Cranberries, Blueberries, Zucchini, Potassium Chloride, Tricalcium Phosphate, Chondroitin Sulfate, Taurine, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Choline Chloride, Cobalt Amino Acid Chelate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Riboflavin Supplement, Sodium Selenite, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Potassium Iodide, Biotin, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Glucosamine Hydrochloride.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Dont know about the dog food but cats need more protein than dogs. Depending on their activity more fat depending on the breed of dog. Which ff does he eat and how much?

Catfooddb.com should help determine the dry matter.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

empirefalls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
re
<<< he ate wet fancy feast classic chicken for 15 years almost exclusively every day
the last 4 years Fancy Feast broth,Fancy Feast savory gravy, and about once a week;Reveal tuna or chicken

last month we had to start giving the dog Happy Hips,dog loves it, but the cat either out of jealousy or likes the dog food, goes to the dog food and fills up...before the dog gets to it.
It is going to be extremely difficult and time consuming to prevent the dog food from the cat not getting to it.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is going to be extremely difficult and time consuming to prevent the dog food from the cat not getting to it.
If the dog only eats twice a day as you said, may I ask how is going to be difficult and time consuming? Maybe we can have ideas to offer if you like.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Where is the dog while this is going on. I give my three cat different supplements in their treat, Hartz Delectable Stew lickable treat, and I just give it to them at the same time so they are all busy concentrating on their own. Of course, I stand there and make sure none are stealing the others. You might just make sure they are getting their food at the same time.
As for the ingredients, I would research the food and see if there have been any complaints. Usually, dog food in small amounts and not fed as the main diet is fine with cats. Cats need taurine which dog foods usually do not have.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

empirefalls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The dog, 7 pounds weight, eats when he wants to eat and almost always does not eat right away when you place food for him.
In order to place the dog food down so the cat does not eat it is: put the dog food down,sit by it 24 /7 around the clock ,making sure the cat does not come by and eat it.

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How large/small is your dog? I have a chip feeder for my kittens to free feed and my adult cat from not being able to access their food. It works very well. My cats have microchips, but the feeder also comes with a tag with a chip that can be attached to a collar. The chips get programmed to work with the feeder, so the feeder will only open for registered animals. SureFeed Microchip Small Dog & Cat Feeder, White - Chewy.com

Before this, I would sit with my cats during the two wet meal feeding times and redirect them to their own plates. If they did not eat all the food in one sitting, I would pick it up and offer again later. Hope this helps!

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The dog, 7 pounds weight, eats when he wants to eat and almost always does not eat right away when you place food for him.
In order to place the dog food down so the cat does not eat it is: put the dog food down,sit by it 24 /7 around the clock ,making sure the cat does not come by and eat it.
If there is a room that can always be closed, you could maybe get a dog door that works with a microchip or alike and have the food inside. Or a crate.

When my cat have a pretty on-track sleep schedule for the mornings I would wait until she's asleep, close the door of the room she's in, then feed the dog. She slept for hours in the morning so it worked for one meal.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How large/small is your dog? I have a chip feeder for my kittens to free feed and my adult cat from not being able to access their food. It works very well. My cats have microchips, but the feeder also comes with a tag with a chip that can be attached to a collar. The chips get programmed to work with the feeder, so the feeder will only open for registered animals. SureFeed Microchip Small Dog & Cat Feeder, White - Chewy.com
A chip feeder is my thought, too. I believe there's even one (or maybe more?) that will read a dog or cat's id microchip. It seems as if the choices are either some sort of personalized feeder for the dog, feeding the dog timed meals at set times, and/or putting a physical boundary (as MissClouseau MissClouseau suggests) between the dog food and the cat.

I wouldn't want a cat to eat more than an occasional bit of dog food. That particular food doesn't look like the very worst for a cat and it does have taurine but it may not have as much as a cat needs. It also may lack other nutrients that cats need more than dogs. There are occasional dog foods that manufacturers say have nutrients appropriate for cats but they are few and far between. I know I'm something of a purist about this -- though it's because of our cats' digestive systems -- but I also wouldn't want them eating this many fruits and vegetables, particularly the peas and potatoes. As maggie101 maggie101 mentions, cats need more protein than dogs.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My dog with arthritis is now eating this twice a day. Dogswell Happy Hips Duck & Sweet Potato Stew Recipe Grain-Free Canned Dog Food.
My senior male cat, of course, is eating this dog food too. My Cat eats fancy feast cat food every day too, but of course he has to go over and eat the dog food too.

Can anyone see anything bad or dangerous for my cat in the ingredients of the dog food?

Happy Hips
Dogswell Happy Hips Duck & Sweet Potato Stew Recipe Grain-Free Canned Dog Food, 13-oz, case of 12 - Chewy.com

Nutritional Info
Ingredients
Duck, Chicken Broth, Chicken Liver, Chicken, Salmon, Dried Egg Product, Peas, Potato Starch, Sweet Potatoes, Carrots, Red Peppers, Guar Gum, Natural Flavor, Sodium Phosphate, Shrimp Meal (Source of Glucosamine), Canola Oil (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols- a Source of Vitamin E), Spinach, Garlic Powder, Flaxseed Oil, Squash, Cranberries, Blueberries, Zucchini, Potassium Chloride, Tricalcium Phosphate, Chondroitin Sulfate, Taurine, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Choline Chloride, Cobalt Amino Acid Chelate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Riboflavin Supplement, Sodium Selenite, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Potassium Iodide, Biotin, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Glucosamine Hydrochloride.
I'm pretty sure that garlic powder is a much more concentrated form of garlic. Garlic can be toxic to cats and, in my view, especially if they have continued exposure to it (like if it's in a food, as in your Dogswell dog food).

Last edited:

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I believe there's even one (or maybe more?) that will read a dog or cat's id microchip.
[Qoute]

Yup! The one I posted does read a pet's microchip if they have one implanted, in case my previous description wasn't very clear. It will read the microchip, but also comes with one tag to attach to a collar, in case the pet is not microchipped. More tags can be bought, if needed, too.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you sure the cat isn't genuinely hungry? Those tiny cans aren't really enough on their own for adult cats.

Is it possible to get some dry food for him to munch on through the day? You could leave it on a counter or table for the cat to eat.

Try feeding in different rooms if there is still food stealing happening.