Cat Eating Own Bed

Ben_Casey

Old Man Casey
Kitten
Purraise
The past week LP ( Lady Penelope ) started using Moses' bed. Now that he is gone I think she is making her space. Maybe the scent of Moses is still in the box and she is removing it piece by piece. Maybe she is bored! The sign on the side said " Super Hi-Tech Cat Trap!" Could it be the scent of the blue marker? She is an odd little cat. LP also has peed twice on our bed. She got lost during August 2017. Maybe some stress? Maybe she is looking for reassurance. When we pet her or hold her she puts but also acts anxious. She is difficult to read. Moses, the other cat in the house kept her occupied and played with her sometimes. Now that he is gone she now loiters around the house, constantly whines for food and is slowly destroying her bed box.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ben_Casey

Old Man Casey
Kitten
Purraise
It sounds like separation anxiety. If you think about it she had Moses now he's just gone.

As far as the bed? Some cats do love destroying cardboard and paper. It could be a combo of stress and anxiety.
You could be right. Moses was a good friend. I also used feliway friends when they both were together.

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If you think about it from Kitty's view she had Moses then he was just gone. I would think there's some mourning going on.

spiritscript

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The past week LP ( Lady Penelope ) started using Moses' bed. Now that he is gone I think she is making her space. Maybe the scent of Moses is still in the box and she is removing it piece by piece. Maybe she is bored! The sign on the side said " Super Hi-Tech Cat Trap!" Could it be the scent of the blue marker? She is an odd little cat. LP also has peed twice on our bed. She got lost during August 2017. Maybe some stress? Maybe she is looking for reassurance. When we pet her or hold her she puts but also acts anxious. She is difficult to read. Moses, the other cat in the house kept her occupied and played with her sometimes. Now that he is gone she now loiters around the house, constantly whines for food and is slowly destroying her bed box.
SEE VIDEO OF BEHAVIOR and SEE BLOG ENTRY ON MOSES
Looks like anxiety! A cat came in our driveway a few years ago, very weak and in the middle of the night started eating cat litter!!! Finally, we understood. He was trying to tell us he had infected teeth. We cleaned out his mouth and I had only one dose of cat Tramadol left and soon after he ate a can of cat food. But in the morning he died on our porch on a soft blanket with us by his/her side. PLEASE understand I am not saying your baby has mouth issues. Just sharing...

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry for your loss of Moses. :alright: Sounds like he was a wonderful cat and companion to you and Lady Penelope.

As far as chewing cardboard, if LP only started this after Moses' passing, then I agree with others that she is having some anxiety and mourning. I have a kitten since February who regularly chews and spits cardboard, so it's "normal" for her. I do think they do it to relieve boredom and anxiety.

Thirteen years ago, I had three cats. The oldest passed away followed by the second-oldest 6 months later. My "baby" at the time was alone (without cat friends) for the first time and he was very bonded with one of the other cats. He started walking the house at night meowing non-stop, calling for his friend. I wasn't ready for another cat, but stopped by the shelter where I had been signed up for a few years as a volunteer foster home. They sent me home with two 7-month old orange and white brother cats for two weeks. I figured "temporary cats" might help my kitty feel better.

My "baby", who was 8 years old then, hated the newcomers at first. He wanted the cats he knew to come back.

Over the two weeks, he decided the new boys were A-ok and stopped meowing all the time for his lost buddies. I adopted the two orange tabbies and all was right with the world again. :grouphug2:

xcourtney3

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Looks like anxiety! A cat came in our driveway a few years ago, very weak and in the middle of the night started eating cat litter!!! Finally, we understood. He was trying to tell us he had infected teeth. We cleaned out his mouth and I had only one dose of cat Tramadol left and soon after he ate a can of cat food. But in the morning he died on our porch on a soft blanket with us by his/her side. PLEASE understand I am not saying your baby has mouth issues. Just sharing...
Eating cat litter can be a sign of anemia

Ben_Casey

Old Man Casey
Kitten
Purraise
PLEASE understand I am not saying your baby has mouth issues. Just sharing...[/QUOTE]
No worries. Sad news about your little visitor

Ben_Casey

Old Man Casey
Kitten
Purraise
Moses was cool. One in a million. I agree, maybe a mix of anxiety and boredom.

Thanks all.

I plan on getting some toys and some feliway, maybe a new kitten.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lalka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Ben_Casey

Old Man Casey
Kitten
Purraise
Do you have play sessions with her every day? Interactive toys is the only way i can get my cats to play and spend some energy. I also recommend a Yeowww catnip toy. I would give her a cat tree or cat condo and remove the cardboard box. I bought a couple of these for cheap a few months ago and my cats love them https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/cat/cat-beds-and-bedding/harmony-cozy-cat-mat-in-cheetah
I do more so now. But the bed eating continues. She does not seem stressed or anxious. I think she is bored mostly. I do play with her more. I am thinking of getting a kitten.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Is she actually eating the cardboard or just chewing on it? Some cat love to tear things apart and cardboard is high on the list. - Just watched your video, answered my own question. She isn't eating it, she is just having fun tearing it apart. I would most definitely NOT get rid of it. While it is messy it is entertaining and relaxing her and there is nothing wrong with it except having to clean up her mess. And when there is not much left of it get her another box