cat eating litter - solution change litter --- how to get old litter out of carpet?

brandy-neka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay so in the past I know I've told people on here how Neka has some pica problems like eating carpet, chewing on metal and wires...

Well within the past couple of days I've seen her treating litter like prey. Not the litter in the litter box, she doesn't just go in and eat tons of it. No it's the stuff she drags around between her toes or whatever. I've unfortunately found quite a few litter pieces on my bed because she jumps up there after she's done using the litter box or whatever. She's a clean cat and grooms herself often but I guess the little pieces will stick to her paws every now and then. Problem is when the litter is on the bed and she moves - the comforter moves, and then the litter moves. When she sees the litter moves, she notices the movement and thinks it's 'alive' and then she cat help but bat at it which makes it move more and then she eats it... 

Anyway so called my vet to make sure she didn't have anything wrong with her from eating the litter (both because it's clay based and because I read that cats only eat litter if somethings wrong with them...) Since she's still acting normally and eating, and pooing, they think she's fine. 

Recommended for me to switch to Worlds Best Cat litter as it's corn based and more easily digestible if she decides she wants to eat that as well... 

From reading up on that product I'm okay with that and will be getting that...

Question's I have:

A) Should I use the same litter box? Or should i change litter boxes when I get the new cat litter?

B) From all the dragging around she's done of the old cat litter - it's really not that noticeable but i'm sure there's little tiny pieces of litter all over the room on the floor that the vacuum cleaner hasn't picked up. Any idea's on how to pick up the left overs so she doesn't decide to eat them? And also to make sure my room's cleaner? I can't easily see it but my feet can sometimes feel it - so they must be really tiny grains of it...

Any suggestions would be appreciated. :)

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay so in the past I know I've told people on here how Neka has some pica problems like eating carpet, chewing on metal and wires...

That is the Serval/wild influence in her. It is not actually a "problem". It is a problem to us
, but it is just part of owning a Savannah. If I remember correctly, she is an F5? It does not seem to matter that much, regarding the pica issues. Since, from what I have seen and heard, these type of behaviors CAN BE more exaggerated in higher generation/foundation cats (F1-F3), but that sure is not always the case.

How old is Neka? The older the cat gets, the better the pica issues tend to get. Note the term is better, not gone. Even my crazy F3 Loki, has calmed down with the pica, somewhat with age.

Well within the past couple of days I've seen her treating litter like prey.

That can be due to several factors, such as boredom. Do not take that the wrong way, these cats are so active, they bore very very easy. They do not seem to understand that people need to work, have lives, and such things. Even if they do understand, they do not care
. It could also be due to the fact the litter box moves and makes noise. It just might be her own personal quirk.

Not the litter in the litter box, she doesn't just go in and eat tons of it.

That is good, very very good

No it's the stuff she drags around between her toes or whatever. I've unfortunately found quite a few litter pieces on my bed because she jumps up there after she's done using the litter box or whatever.

I am confused (yes no surprise
). Is she eating the pieces that she is grooming from between her toes? Or is she eating the pieces she finds on your bed/floor?

She's a clean cat and grooms herself often but I guess the little pieces will stick to her paws every now and then.

That is a "problem" I have with both my Savannah and my other domestics.

Problem is when the litter is on the bed and she moves - the comforter moves, and then the litter moves. When she sees the litter moves, she notices the movement and thinks it's 'alive' and then she cat help but bat at it which makes it move more and then she eats it... 

A very very normal "Savannahism",  aka, a very common "quirk" of the breed. Loki, did grow out of that behavior at around a year old. He is now a year and a half.

Anyway so called my vet to make sure she didn't have anything wrong with her from eating the litter (both because it's clay based and because I read that cats only eat litter if somethings wrong with them...)

What a hybrid exotic does (Bengal, Savannah, Chausie, and a Safari) is VERY different then what a domestic cat does. The pica is very common. It is normally not an indication of an illness. Especially, in a cat under two years old. Now, if the cat is older and suddenly starts doing it (after stopping), then it might be a problem.

Since she's still acting normally and eating, and pooing, they think she's fine. 

I agree, she sounds fine to me too

Recommended for me to switch to Worlds Best Cat litter as it's corn based and more easily digestible if she decides she wants to eat that as well... 

BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN CHANGING LITTER TYPE. If you really want to change the litter type, do it VERY SLOWLY. Unlike a pure domestic cat, her using the litter box is a "learned" or imitated behavior, from the domestic female she was likely raised with. 

Question's I have:

A) Should I use the same litter box?

In my humble opinion, YES! Also, do not change the box location, at first!

Or should i change litter boxes when I get the new cat litter?

NOT to start with. If you decide you want to later on, then yes.

B) From all the dragging around she's done of the old cat litter - it's really not that noticeable but i'm sure there's little tiny pieces of litter all over the room on the floor that the vacuum cleaner hasn't picked up. Any idea's on how to pick up the left overs so she doesn't decide to eat them?

I am sorry, but I have no suggestions. I would try not to worry about it too much. Unless, she is licking the floor, looking for the litter. Then I might worry.

And also to make sure my room's cleaner? I can't easily see it but my feet can sometimes feel it - so they must be really tiny grains of it...

I vacuum my whole home, on a daily basis. I can not give you any other recommendation, sorry :(.

I hope that was somewhat helpful. Please let me know!
Please note, my responses are in red font.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

brandy-neka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]That is the Serval/wild influence in her. It is not actually a "problem". It is a problem to us 
, but it is just part of owning a Savannah. If I remember correctly,  she is an F5? It does not seem to matter that much, regarding the pica issues. Since, from what I have seen and heard, these type of behaviors CAN BE more exaggerated in higher generation/foundation cats (F1-F3), but that sure is not always the case.[/color]

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]How old is Neka? The older the cat gets, the better the pica issues tend to get. Note the term is better, not gone. Even my crazy F3 Loki, has calmed down with the pica, somewhat with age.[/color]

Neka was born in march, so she's getting close to a year old, at the moment she's 10 months.  

[color= rgb(178, 34, 34)]T[/color][color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]hat can be due to several factors, such as boredom. Do not take that the wrong way, these cats are so active, they bore very very easy. They do not seem to understand that people need to work, have lives, and such things. Even if they do understand, they do not care[/color]  
.  [color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]It could also be due to the fact the litter box moves and makes noise. It just might be her own personal quirk.[/color]

Oddly enough she does it right after I'm done petting her, it's like she's all worked up and must find something to do with her paws lol 

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]That is good, very very good 
.[/color]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Yes, I would agree, otherwise I likely would have to have her stomach pumped or something. [/font]

No it's the stuff she drags around between her toes or whatever. I've unfortunately found quite a few litter pieces on my bed because she jumps up there after she's done using the litter box or whatever.

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]I am confused (yes no surprise 
). Is she eating the pieces that she is grooming from between her toes? Or is she eating the pieces she finds on your bed/floor?[/color]

Well when she's grooming herself those pieces fall off, so I'd say both. Because she could possibly eat them when she's grooming, but it's mostly bed/floor and that's usually when she's playing. 

She's a clean cat and grooms herself often but I guess the little pieces will stick to her paws every now and then.

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]That is a "problem" I have with both my Savannah and my other domestics.[/color]

Hopefully the new cat litter won't stick as much. 

Problem is when the litter is on the bed and she moves - the comforter moves, and then the litter moves. When she sees the litter moves, she notices the movement and thinks it's 'alive' and then she cat help but bat at it which makes it move more and then she eats it... 

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]A very very normal "Savannahism",  aka, a very common "quirk" of the breed. Loki, did grow out of that behavior at around a year old. He is now a year and a half.[/color]

Anyway so called my vet to make sure she didn't have anything wrong with her from eating the litter (both because it's clay based and because I read that cats only eat litter if somethings wrong with them...)

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]What a hybrid exotic does (Bengal, Savannah, Chausie, and a Safari) is VERY different then what a domestic cat does. The pica is very common. It is normally not an indication of an illness. Especially, in a cat under two years old. Now, if the cat is older and suddenly starts doing it (after stopping), then it might be a problem.[/color]

I just read about the anemia and then what that could mean and all sorts of horrible stuff. As she's acting fine I'd think she's fine... hopefully. 

Since she's still acting normally and eating, and pooing, they think she's fine. 

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]I agree, she sounds fine to me too[/color]  

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN CHANGING LITTER TYPE. If you really want to change the litter type, do it VERY SLOWLY. Unlike a pure domestic cat, her using the litter box is a "learned" or imitated behavior, from the domestic female she was likely raised with. [/color]

Question's I have:

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]In my humble opinion, YES! Also, do not change the box location, at first![/color]

Darn it! I already bought a new one and changed it before I had to go someone for two hours. I don't change the location, but yea already new litter box and litter. 

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]NOT to start with. If you decide you want to later on, then yes.[/color]

Like I said already changed litter boxes... I am a bit worried that she won't use it... I put her in and she was smelling it and everything (new box+new litter) she was curious but I don't know if she's gone in it yet. On the plus side I do know that she hasn't gone elsewhere in my room. 

B) From all the dragging around she's done of the old cat litter - it's really not that noticeable but i'm sure there's little tiny pieces of litter all over the room on the floor that the vacuum cleaner hasn't picked up. Any idea's on how to pick up the left overs so she doesn't decide to eat them?

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]I am sorry, but I have no suggestions. I would try not to worry about it too much. Unless, she is licking the floor, looking for the litter. Then I might worry.[/color]

My grandma's suggested trying to sweep it off the carpet onto a hard floor, so I'm going to try sweeping that area of the room into the bathroom which is just across the hall. I've also thought of potentially using boxing tape in areas where I step and I feel the little grains. 

And also to make sure my room's cleaner? I can't easily see it but my feet can sometimes feel it - so they must be really tiny grains of it...

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]I[/color]  [color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]vacuum my whole home, on a daily basis. I can not give you any other recommendation, sorry :(.[/color]

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]I hope that was somewhat helpful. Please let me know![/color]

It was helpful as always, glad you're always looking out for me =))
My 2nd response are in Orange.... So that people know what I was responding to where... Although it does make it look slightly confusing... (sowwy) 

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cat Person  

That is the Serval/wild influence in her. It is not actually a "problem". It is a problem to us 
, but it is just part of owning a Savannah. If I remember correctly,  she is an F5? It does not seem to matter that much, regarding the pica issues. Since, from what I have seen and heard, these type of behaviors CAN BE more exaggerated in higher generation/foundation cats (F1-F3), but that sure is not always the case.

How old is Neka? The older the cat gets, the better the pica issues tend to get. Note the term is better, not gone. Even my crazy F3 Loki, has calmed down with the pica, somewhat with age.

Neka was born in march, so she's getting close to a year old, at the moment she's 10 months.  

That is still VERY young in the mind of the Savannah
.  She still has plenty of time to "mature"

That can be due to several factors, such as boredom. Do not take that the wrong way, these cats are so active, they bore very very easy. They do not seem to understand that people need to work, have lives, and such things. Even if they do understand, they do not care  
.  It could also be due to the fact the litter box moves and makes noise. It just might be her own personal quirk.

Oddly enough she does it right after I'm done petting her, it's like she's all worked up and must find something to do with her paws lol 

That is actually not that "odd" at all. You are most likely, in the eyes of Neka, her "mother/leader", So, just as a domestic kitten would be taught to hunt, from the mother, a Savannah will have the same instincts. Just highly magnified. In other words, after you pet her, she gets "excited" and "feels the need to show momma she can kill something".

That is good, very very good 

Yes, I would agree, otherwise I likely would have to have her stomach pumped or something. 

I am confused (yes no surprise 
). Is she eating the pieces that she is grooming from between her toes? Or is she eating the pieces she finds on your bed/floor?

Well when she's grooming herself those pieces fall off, so I'd say both. Because she could possibly eat them when she's grooming, but it's mostly bed/floor and that's usually when she's playing. 

I would not worry about it. But, you could simply keep a toy next to you. So that way, she can play with that and will hopefully get distracted by the litter.

That is a "problem" I have with both my Savannah and my other domestics.

Hopefully the new cat litter won't stick as much. 

A very very normal "Savannahism",  aka, a very common "quirk" of the breed. Loki, did grow out of that behavior at around a year old. He is now a year and a half.

What a hybrid exotic does (Bengal, Savannah, Chausie, and a Safari) is VERY different then what a domestic cat does. The pica is very common. It is normally not an indication of an illness. Especially, in a cat under two years old. Now, if the cat is older and suddenly starts doing it (after stopping), then it might be a problem.

I just read about the anemia and then what that could mean and all sorts of horrible stuff. As she's acting fine I'd think she's fine... hopefully. 

Pica in hybrid cats (Bengal, Chausie, Savannah and Safari), especially ones under two years old, is NOT a sign of anemia, in most cases. It is just the "wild cat" in them.

I agree, she sounds fine to me too  

BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN CHANGING LITTER TYPE. If you really want to change the litter type, do it VERY SLOWLY. Unlike a pure domestic cat, her using the litter box is a "learned" or imitated behavior, from the domestic female she was likely raised with. 

Question's I have:

In my humble opinion, YES! Also, do not change the box location, at first!

Darn it! I already bought a new one and changed it before I had to go someone for two hours. I don't change the location, but yea already new litter box and litter. 

How is she reacting to the change of litter and litter box?

NOT to start with. If you decide you want to later on, then yes.

Like I said already changed litter boxes... I am a bit worried that she won't use it... I put her in and she was smelling it and everything (new box+new litter) she was curious but I don't know if she's gone in it yet. On the plus side I do know that she hasn't gone elsewhere in my room. 

I would recommend, you either gradually change over the litter (mixing the old type with the new type) or put the old litter box and old litter type next to the new one. If she has used the new litter and new litter box, do not worry. Be very very grateful!

I am sorry, but I have no suggestions. I would try not to worry about it too much. Unless, she is licking the floor, looking for the litter. Then I might worry.

My grandma's suggested trying to sweep it off the carpet onto a hard floor, so I'm going to try sweeping that area of the room into the bathroom which is just across the hall. I've also thought of potentially using boxing tape in areas where I step and I feel the little grains. 

I  vacuum my whole home, on a daily basis. I can not give you any other recommendation, sorry :(.

I hope that was somewhat helpful. Please let me know!

It was helpful as always, glad you're always looking out for me =))

Glad you think I am so helpful
. Let me know what you think of my responses.

My 2nd response are in Orange.... So that people know what I was responding to where... Although it does make it look slightly confusing... (sowwy)

My 3rd responses are in Blue. I think the orange was fine.

brandy-neka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She poo'd in the new litter box with the new litter this morning... 

Smells kind of bad actually, I think I'm going to miss Tidy Cats lol, I don't like the new litters smell even without poo in though so... 

I'm very grateful she's using it but she seems very curious about it... When I scooped out the poo she kept sniffing around in there lol - she never did that with tidy cats... Oh well I don't think she'll poo or pee on the floor :crossesfingers:

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She poo'd in the new litter box with the new litter this morning... 

That is a very very good thing
! Do you know, if she urinated in the new box with the new litter in it? If not, I would recommend, you put the old box with the old litter type next to the newer one.

Smells kind of bad actually, I think I'm going to miss Tidy Cats lol, I don't like the new litters smell even without poo in though so... 

I have worked with Worlds Best Cat Litter, the smell did not bother me, but I never had it in my bedroom

I'm very grateful she's using it

I would be too

but she seems very curious about it... When I scooped out the poo she kept sniffing around in there lol - she never did that with tidy cats...

That is most likely because the smell is unfamiliar to her. On top of that, you just removed a very familiar smell (her bowel movement), so that will make her even more curious. She will likely get over that in a day or so.

Oh well I don't think she'll poo or pee on the floor :crossesfingers:

I hope not for your sake. But, if she does, then you MUST return the old litter box and old litter type. Of course, you must clean the area the "accident" happened with an enzymatic cleaner. Or else she might go back to that spot anyway.
Please note, my responses are in red type. As always, I hope I was somewhat helpful.

brandy-neka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So, when i scooped her litter this morning. Found 2 pee's, and a poo. 

Think we're good. She's a very smart kitty!