Cat Eating Jewelry

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
This is a new one for me. I came out of the shower to see Luciano had flipped open my jewelry box & was in the process of eating one of my gold necklaces. He had the chain halfway down his throat & the locket was dangling out of his mouth. I said No! loudly & was able to pull it out of his mouth with no further incident, but what the hell?! He's never expressed an interest in my jewelry box before, despite it being on my dresser always. I'm glad I didn't follow the shampoo bottle's instructions to repeat or I may have been too late.

I think if I try to secure the box with a rubber band or tie of some kind, that would make him more likely to try and eat that (he's done that before). Does anyone have any kind of advice?

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My guys are obsessed with jewellery, especially my boys. Somewhat of a frustrating issue, as one of my main hobbies is jewellery making :rolleyes: :lol: I don't think they've ever gone as far as almost swallowing any, but they do chew on it (usually whilst I'm wearing it) and try and make off with pieces.

The best solution is to put something heavy on top of the box so it stays shut, or look for one with a paw-proof catch on it (see pic). 15272554326812053820269.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ileen

Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks Columbine Columbine , I guess I'll have to try that. I love the look of the top of my jewelry box though, too bad. I don't have any drawers available that would fit the box, plus then I'd be even less likely to wear anything out of it - out of sight, out of mind.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Jewelry is just fun for cats to play with. I have had a few silver necklaces broken as the cat pulled them down. And one of my girls used to open the jewelry drawer and take earrings. Some disappeared forever and others showed up in my bad, sometimes weeks or months later.

The only solution is to put the stuff away in something they can’t open.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Funny you mentioned this. I went into the bathroom this morning to discover Zoe playing with one of my bracelets on the floor! She must have jumped up on the counter and batted it off the shelf. That’s a first. I guess I need to move those tempting things on the shelf to a new spot.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ileen

Super Cat
Purraise
I guess he fished it out of the jewelry box with his increasingly long dew claw I haven't yet been able to cut, but honestly I haven't worn that necklace in decades & if I had tried to find it in the box, it would have probably taken me 20 minutes. I am glad I managed to prevent yet another trip to the vet for him swallowing something long that he shouldn't have (tinsel, ribbon, laundry bag cord), and will work on rearranging my belongings this weekend.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Yes, it would be scary to find them with something halfway down their throat! :eek2: I’m glad you caught him in time.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love the look of the top of my jewelry box though, too bad. I don't have any drawers available that would fit the box, plus then I'd be even less likely to wear anything out of it - out of sight, out of mind.

Buy a clear plastic storage container large enough for the jewelry box and put the box inside. Snap or latch the lid on tightly. A storage container might not look too pretty on top of a dresser or wherever you keep the jewelry box but it will keep the cat from eating your jewelry. And you can still see the jewelry box. It's a small price to pay for a storage container to prevent a few hundred or more in emergency vet bills if a piece of jewelry is ingested and causes serious harm.