Cat Eating Dirt

catladymary

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, I was wondering if anyone has this problem of their cat eating dirt from potted plants, I actually have to move them up out of way. He will eat sticks that are in the dirt and then he throws it up. He also has a twitch of front paw at various times, like when going outside and cool air hits him. He doesn't do this all the time, but another time is when I put his hyperthyroid med in his ear, which he hates. He is 17 years old, hyperthyroid. Any help would be appreciated

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Haven't seen that one before, but I'll bet it is associated with the hyperthyroid condition, which speeds up the metabolism, so he's hungry ALL THE TIME and for odd things. I would suggest putting those little decorative rocks you can buy by the bag in the floral sections of department stores and at lawn supply shops over all the dirt in your plants. It won't stop the craving, but it will put the dirt out of reach!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catladymary

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Haven't seen that one before, but I'll bet it is associated with the hyperthyroid condition, which speeds up the metabolism, so he's hungry ALL THE TIME and for odd things. I would suggest putting those little decorative rocks you can buy by the bag in the floral sections of department stores and at lawn supply shops over all the dirt in your plants. It won't stop the craving, but it will put the dirt out of reach!
I had asked my vet about this and the nonchalantly said it may be vitamin deficiency but never said anything more. Toby has hyperthyroidism but he hardly ever eats, Ive been coaxing and doing whatever it takes to get him to eat..Ive started giving him food 5 or 6 times a day just to get him to eat more. when Annie was here he would take direction from her to eat, but now that shes gone, I could see already, its going to be tough. Its only one day and I'm already following him with food dish He eats a bit but I will be lucky to get one can of fancy feast down him in a day I will be making another appointment for him this coming week although I dread going back to vets so soon after losing my sweet Annie.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I heard the same thing, that cats eat dirt when they are missing certain nutrients or vitamins.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Found this, but it refers to healthy cats, so your cat may very well need a good supplement. And with his health and eating issues, it may be wise.

Cat Vitamins and Supplements: Do They Work?

Be careful about following him around with food too much. Cats can occasionally actually develop food aversions if they feel pressured to eat. They're finicky, peculiar little creatures with very complex psyches.

catladymary

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Found this, but it refers to healthy cats, so your cat may very well need a good supplement. And with his health and eating issues, it may be wise.

Cat Vitamins and Supplements: Do They Work?

Be careful about following him around with food too much. Cats can occasionally actually develop food aversions if they feel pressured to eat. They're finicky, peculiar little creatures with very complex psyches.
wow, thanks for leading me in right direction. I think I follow him around to make him eat is because he seems so disinterested in food, that is where his mate, Annie, came in, but shes gone now and I see he has no direction to follow. Toby has doc apt Thursday, I have told them before about him occasionally eating dirt but they just said possible deficiency but they acted like I was being overly concerned. He gets blood work each time he goes which seems about every other month for his hyperthyroidism Since he just lost his sister, Annie, I am concerned as he keeps looking for her, my heart is already breaking, but seeing that I took his mate is killing me. Toby will be 18 in December so I am trying my best to keep him healthy but this hyperthyroidism has been a major challenge.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is he treated for fleas and worms? Parasites like that can cause vitamin deficiencies and cause cats to eat dirt.

catladymary

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is he treated for fleas and worms? Parasites like that can cause vitamin deficiencies and cause cats to eat dirt.
He's an indoor only cat but I will ask vet about that cause maybe he picked up parasite in potting soil.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had a 17 year old cat with hyperthyroidism who licked the earth in the garden. I spoke to my vet about it and was told it is called pica. It is usually a deficiency of something on their diets.

josiegirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He could have a vitamin deficiency or he could be slightly anemic. My friend's kitty started eating soil and then was caught eating his cat litter. Her vet initially said it was probably because he was hungry (What?!!) but I told her to ask her vet to test for anemia. Results confirmed it was, indeed, anemia.

catladymary

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He could have a vitamin deficiency or he could be slightly anemic. My friend's kitty started eating soil and then was caught eating his cat litter. Her vet initially said it was probably because he was hungry (What?!!) but I told her to ask her vet to test for anemia. Results confirmed it was, indeed, anemia.
And what do you do for that...I was told Toby was a bit anemic once, but they basically did not address it. They seemed more concerned with the hyperthyroidism. It seems they only concentrate on one thing at VCA they once gave him IV fluids for dehydration as he gets scared when we get company and goes into hiding, therefore not eating or drinking. I'm so afraid they will tell me he has leukemia or something terminal as I just put my Annie down a couple of days ago and have been regretting it ever since. I can't seem to get over that so if Toby is not well, I'm afraid I will lose it totally.

josiegirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
And what do you do for that...I was told Toby was a bit anemic once, but they basically did not address it. They seemed more concerned with the hyperthyroidism. It seems they only concentrate on one thing at VCA they once gave him IV fluids for dehydration as he gets scared when we get company and goes into hiding, therefore not eating or drinking. I'm so afraid they will tell me he has leukemia or something terminal as I just put my Annie down a couple of days ago and have been regretting it ever since. I can't seem to get over that so if Toby is not well, I'm afraid I will lose it totally.
Kitty had severe IBD and pancreatitis. The anemia was most likely the cause of his condition, as he was not retaining any of the vitamins and minerals through the food. It was going right through him. And I REALLY hate to say this but they did a biopsy on him and she learned he had a massive tumor in his stomach.

If it were me, Id put him on a good diet. I know lots of members here praise Fancy Feast wet food but I, personally, am not a fan of it. Although it's low in carbs and it doesn't have carrageenan, I am wary of the by-products and artificial flavors in it. A better quality food like Instinct canned wet food or even commercially-prepared raw might help. Also, When my friend's cat wasn't eating I looked into trying goats milk for him. It is supposedly a "super" probiotic. You might want to look into it yourself. It's been touted as helping all kinds of diseases and conditions, and is even used as an appetite stimulant.

catladymary

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Kitty had severe IBD and pancreatitis. The anemia was most likely the cause of his condition, as he was not retaining any of the vitamins and minerals through the food. It was going right through him. And I REALLY hate to say this but they did a biopsy on him and she learned he had a massive tumor in his stomach.

If it were me, Id put him on a good diet. I know lots of members here praise Fancy Feast wet food but I, personally, am not a fan of it. Although it's low in carbs and it doesn't have carrageenan, I am wary of the by-products and artificial flavors in it. A better quality food like Instinct canned wet food or even commercially-prepared raw might help. Also, When my friend's cat wasn't eating I looked into trying goats milk for him. It is supposedly a "super" probiotic. You might want to look into it yourself. It's been touted as helping all kinds of diseases and conditions, and is even used as an appetite stimulant.
Thank you, I will look into that

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sweetie, I remind you again, you did not "take" his mate, you eased her into something better. But I know it will take awhile to deal with that, and your heart is breaking, and you are so worried. You are doing the best you can. We'll help as much as is possible from a distance!