Cat Eating Carpet On Tree Condo

wealthy1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cats won’t stop eating the carp0et on the tree condo. Thankfully they pass whatever they eat. But I rather be proactive before it becomes costly or evenly deadly. I even poured lime juice over the area to deter this behavior its working but.......

The below picture with the eaten out portion is where carpet use to be.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a cat tree that doesnt have a lot of carpet on it?

image.jpg

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm not sure how handy you are, but would it be possible to remove the carpet? If it's just that front scratcher looking thing could you wrap it in sisal rope?
That is a good idea! If you able to do this, take the carpet off all of the legs and use sisal rope - just in case they would move on to another leg and start chomping on it!

msserena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have a cat who is hungry all the time, she will pull off the carpet on one of the scratching posts. She stops when I tell her no but I have to catch her in the act. I tried the sisal rope & it made such a mess, it unwound & the cats shredded it with their claws, I had chunks of that stuff everywhere, I finally tossed the scratching post in the trash. I don't know if there's different kinds to get but I just got a roll at home depot.

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have a cat who is hungry all the time, she will pull off the carpet on one of the scratching posts. She stops when I tell her no but I have to catch her in the act. I tried the sisal rope & it made such a mess, it unwound & the cats shredded it with their claws, I had chunks of that stuff everywhere, I finally tossed the scratching post in the trash. I don't know if there's different kinds to get but I just got a roll at home depot.
When I put rope on a scratcher I also coat the post in glue as I wrap the rope around. That way as they scratch it and break the rope it doesn't come off, or at least doesn't come unwound. It does make a bit of a mess, fibers come off, but mostly just around the scratcher.

LeiLana80

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My parents have a cat who is very prone to eating things he shouldn't. He's had surgery TWICE to get something removed when he was young. Now he's about 12 and my parents are wise to his tricks and so far no more incidents!

Anyway... they used to have a fantastic cat tree covered in carpet. It was so amazing and sturdy. Except Gus ate the dang carpet on the top level.
So they covered it. He still found places to eat. He just wouldn't stop. They tried making it taste bad. Nope. He didn't care. He still tried to eat it. They wound up having to rehome the cat tree with my brother.

I would personally try to cover it with sisal rope. Remove the carpet, staple on the rope. Glue gun works well too, as needed. You can also go in sections, so when they tear apart one section, the whole thing doesn't come unraveled.
Good luck!

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Check your bottle of lime juice. Much lime juice actually has sugar or corn syrup in it. You may want to wash it off with white vinegar before the ants and roaches accept your invitation.

I'd remove the carpet until they are older. That's what I did with the toilet seat covers. They now have a neat little square of missing yarn right in the center. But she doesn't eat them any more. No, I didn't see that one coming.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wealthy1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the replies everyone. My cats eat the sisel rope as well. They're not as bad when they were kittens, but it's still there. I may look into alternative cat trees, although costly, it's cheaper than having cats eat rope and carpet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wealthy1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm also using flyway to see if it deters the behavior. I don't like using it, because my cats are pretty much calm. But we will see.