Cat Eating Carpet From Cat Tree?

erikaash27

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone, my cat was recently diagnosed with pica. He was eating random things. Mostly his litter, carpet, cardboard, etc. I switched his litter and food and things have gotten better. I decided to get him a cat tree to try to entertain him and to get some of his energy out. But now, when he is scratching the cat tree, carpet comes up, and then of course, he eats it. Ugh! I'm constantly looking for loose pieces to clean up, but I have found a couple of carpet fibers in his poo the last few days.

My question is: Has anyone ever had any experience with this? If so, is there anything I can do to prevent him from eating the loose carpet? Like putting something over it? Or would it just be better to take it away from it? He really loves it so I don't want to do that, but I am constantly worried he is going to eat the loose carpet!! I'm so tired of constantly worrying about him :(

Thank you for your help in advance!!

Virginia H.

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a Russian Blue that's adorable and never been sick. Some of the carpet pieces fell out of her cat furniture. She ate a couple of pieces and got sick. She's never been diagnosed with Pica and she gets fed a premium cat food. I vacuumed all the loose pieces up. If that was a one time thing, should I be concerned?
IMG_0506.jpg

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Ate it or just ripped it out? Sometimes kabby bites the carpet on his post but he spits it out afterwards.

Virginia H.

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I heard the cat cough yesterday. She may have gotten into something she doesn't supposed to due to fresh painting of the cat room door. It was repainted on the outside. The fumes should have been minimal on the inside though. She was put up in an upstairs bedroom while the sanding & painting was going on. After vacuuming the cat room, she was brought back downstairs. The cat room is a special place with no electrical cords and cat furniture everywhere. There's even a window box ledge for her to look outside. She doesn't have run of the house. I raise hamsters, rats, mice, degus, and have a hedgehog. She doesn't stay locked in the cat room either. She comes out when I'm there to pet her or watch her when I'm viewing the TV. During work she's put up in there to keep out of trouble.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My 8 yr old cat still eats the carpet. It helps to have lots of chew toys. When does it she's bored or it's almost time to eat. Play with her when she starts to chew something