Cat eating artificial Christmas tree! Help!

jessdotdotdot

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So we just put up our fake Christmas tree yesterday and of course it's the first time my 1 year old has seen a christmas tree and was all in it. This morning, I was hanging out with him and he just started crying and crying so I followed him to see what was going on and he stopped and puked up some of the fake Christmas tree. He was back to normal as soon as he was done puking, but what can I do so it doesn't happen again!?

mingsmongols

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well that's not good. Ingestion of the needles can lead to a blockage or puncture, you definitely don't want him consuming them. You can get some hydrogen peroxide to help induce vomiting if you think that theirs more in their. However the amount he throws up probably isn't the full amount in his stomach and gi tract. But since you know that he's been eating them you can budget and act accordingly. Watch his litter box habits to see what's coming out the other end and keep an eye on his mood and food and water intake. Make sure to put enough back for an ultrasound and an abdominal radiograph if its necessary.

Their are several cat away products on the market that you could spray it with, unfortunately I'm not sure how well they work.

The safest option would be to not let him have access to the room with the Christmas tree when your not their and can't supervise him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jessdotdotdot

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
M mingsmongols Even a fake tree can cause puncture? I read online fake trees are much better than real Christmas trees. It said that real trees cause more danger and harm to cats which was why I got a fake tree instead. I gave him treats and he's eating those just fine, but I am monitoring his eating, water intake and litter trips. What should I be on the look for other than that?

mingsmongols

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Fake trees are definitely better then real trees and the odds of him puncturing his colon or intestines are pretty low but still their. The main issue is gi blockage. Allitle bit of hair and some needles can cause a nice clump.

Just keep monitoring him, those are the things you should be watching.

jessdotdotdot

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well I gave him some regular treats which he ate with no problem and I gave him his favorite wet treat, which he usually demolishes but instead he only ate half of it. He's kinda being lazy at the moment which can be normal for him when I have him in my room. He hasn't gotten up to eat or drink or use the bathroom tho since he puked 2 hours ago. I'm sure his tummy is upset... but how long should I wait until it's something I should worry about? I'm praying there is no blockage and he's just got an upset tummy.

mingsmongols

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He might not want to eat if he has an upset stomach, and puking can do that. It could be half a day before he try's to eat again. If he's not back to normal by tomorrow morning you might want to take him in tho.

mtl00

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
well, i don't have much advice for what he's already eaten, but if he doesn't already have access to grass, get him some kind of grass to chew/eat so that way maybe he won't go for the fake tree, and if he still does block of his access to the tree, maybe surround the tree with 45 degree walls, when a cat looks up and sees a 45 angle degree surface they won't attempt to climb it

jessdotdotdot

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I already took the tree down, it's not worth it for my cats to get sick because of it. Not only is my kitten going through this right now but my older cat started trying to eat the tree too, so it wasn't worth it to me. ill keep an eye out over night and if there's no change tomorrow, I'll be calling the vet. He hasn't puked since, it was only that one and only time which I would say is a good thing? But I'm sure his tummy isn't feeling well.

jessdotdotdot

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
M mingsmongols Recovering from emergency surgery. [emoji]128533[/emoji] I got him to eat a couple treats after he first initially puked up the tree that morning and 7 or 8 hours later.... he puked again... Except all the treats I gave him from hours ago were undigested and that wasn't a good sign to me. So I rushed him to the ER and he had X-rays done and after waiting for the results for hours, we needed to rush him into emergency surgery for an obstruction in the small intestines because he apparently ate a lot more of this fake Christmas tree [emoji]128148[/emoji]. I just got him back home with me last night. He has to be crated for the next 10-14 days, until his stitches are removed. No running, no playing, no jumping. Very nervous with a serious surgery like this. I'm just hoping he recovers well and healthy.

mingsmongols

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That's horrible. You caught it quickly though and were on the ball. It is a serious surgery but it has a high success rate. I hope you kitty recovers quickly.

jessdotdotdot

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hearing it has a good success rate makes me feel better!!! Very scary to have to go through that. I don't think I'll ever be able to put up a Christmas tree ever again after this mess.

Shaten

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat ate a couple artifical pine needles he then vomited twice he threw up two pine needles he isn't vomiting now but he hasn't eaten or drinking and he's been sleeping he lifted up and meowed once do you think he will be alright until morning when I can take him to vet

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
M mingsmongols Recovering from emergency surgery. [emoji]128533[/emoji] I got him to eat a couple treats after he first initially puked up the tree that morning and 7 or 8 hours later.... he puked again... Except all the treats I gave him from hours ago were undigested and that wasn't a good sign to me. So I rushed him to the ER and he had X-rays done and after waiting for the results for hours, we needed to rush him into emergency surgery for an obstruction in the small intestines because he apparently ate a lot more of this fake Christmas tree [emoji]128148[/emoji]. I just got him back home with me last night. He has to be crated for the next 10-14 days, until his stitches are removed. No running, no playing, no jumping. Very nervous with a serious surgery like this. I'm just hoping he recovers well and healthy.
Oh, no. Mega :vibes:for a quick recovery!