Cat dying--hypothyroidism and old age

MarkyMark

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Cat Sebastian is 20 years old he has hypothyroidism the past two days he will not eat he cannot walk very well at all and he has lost probably lost more than half of his weight over the last year is about 5 lb he was 12 to 14 lb not get a vet appointment they just want me to drop him off for the day but I am afraid he will pass away in a couple hours any recommendations would be great what should I drop him off at vet or I'll make appointment for Monday if he should last that long any ideas would be great

allmykitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would insist on getting an appointment (whenever .. it can always be cancelled later), and in the meantime, keep him as comfy as possible. I wouldn't just drop him off at the vet.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am so sorry for what is going on with Sebastian. Is there an emergency vet nearby that you could go to instead? I think he needs to be looked at sooner rather than later. If the vet wants you to drop him off so they can look at him and try to treat him, then I think it would be better than waiting until Monday for an actual appointment. Find out what the vet plans to do, if you would drop off Sebastian - maybe you could stay at the vets at least until he is looked at?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with the above two members, please don't wait until Monday for him to get veterinary care. Both the significant weight loss and mobility issues are very concerning. Just out of curiosity, when was the last time Sebastian saw the vet? Is he currently on medication to treat the Hyperthyroidism and does he get regular bloodwork for it? If you cannot get him into your vet FeebysOwner FeebysOwner had a good suggestion to go to an emergency vet. Best of luck, we will be thinking of Sebastion and you. 🤗 Please keep us posted.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I don't mean to upset you, but if you feel that your cat may not have much more time, I would try to get him into the vet asap. When you bring him, even if it is a drop off, ask if you can be with him if they feel that there is nothing more that can be done for him or that he is suffering. My vet does allow clients in for euthanasia.