Cat Drooling And Sneezing

catpower321

The owner of PB & Jello
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey guys so i have a female cat who just had a c-section 6 days ago and had 2 baby kittens. She came home after 4 days. On the first 2 nights she did well nursing her kittens and all but just didnt eat much, which I thin is not a good thing. But then this morning at like 5am I woke up and saw her mouth drooling with saliva. Her fur was covered in saliva and the babies were too (not that much tho). I brought her to the vet and they said she has a fever but I just thought there was more to just a 'fever'. I read online and some say there could be an infection in her mouth or something. She does sneeze a lot and she starts drooling after the sneezes. So can anyone tell me if there is anything more to it?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is it possible that she caught some sort of URI while staying at the vet's? Since she wasn't having any dental/mouth issues before, it would seem a bit coincidental for that to be the problem.

Did the vet do a swab of the saliva or any mucous from the sneezing? Either way, I would talk to the vet and find out if she can take antibiotics while nursing, as well as how to determine if she has a URI. Whatever she has she could transmit to the kittens as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catpower321

The owner of PB & Jello
Young Cat
Purraise
The vet didnt take any saliva from her idk why, they did check the poop and said she was fine. The doctor also did give her antibiotics so i guess it's fine. All he said was that she has a fever and we gotta give her capsules. But ever since she's been drooling, the moment we try to touch her mouth/chin she starts scratching and runs away from us. She never does that cuz she's always calm and chill.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yikes!! That's not good - I wonder if she is sore from the intubation during surgery plus got an URI. The antibiotics should help with any secondary infection. In case her mouth is sore. I would feed her thinned canned food plus offer her a kitten milk replacer to drink - I prefer goat milk to whey based. Please keep us posted on how she is doing!

catpower321

The owner of PB & Jello
Young Cat
Purraise
hey so I just got back from the vet. So basically when I went to the vet yesterday, we had a different doctor take care of us and tbh I just felt like he was full of sh*t and looked like he just wanted to go home. But today my mom asked for our usual doctor and she did a lot better. She didn't take any swab from the saliva cuz she said nothing is wrong with her mouth. But she took a blood test and her white blood cells increased and she does have an infection from that c-section she had. The doctor as said that she was dehydrated and the stitches from her surgery still had to be kept closed with a bandage but the other doctor said that yesterday it was fine and we can leave it open. We let my cat stay at the vet for around 3 days but if she's still healing then we might let her stay longer just to be safe. I just check how my cat was doing and she seems to be doing fine, she's nursing her babies and the medication they've been giving her were all through injections. She has that infusion as well on her cuz she aint drinking or eating.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Glad you got to see her regular vet! So, what does the vet think the drooling is about - the infection? I've never heard of that, but I guess anything is possible. And, the sneezing? I hope the antibiotics help with these aspects as well as the infection from her C-section.

So, your girl is back in the hospital now? Sorry to hear that, but it sounds like it is the best place for her to be right now.

catpower321

The owner of PB & Jello
Young Cat
Purraise
When i visited the vet again, my doctor wasn't there but I did see my girl. She wasn't drooling as much and I didn't hear any sneezes from her. My doctor says the drooling might either be from dehydration or the infection. Something like that. I agree with you saying that the best place for her is at the vet rn. Because my and my family barely get enough sleep taking care of her and the babies. With me at school, parents at works nobody can really watch her

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the update - this is very informative in general aside from the concerns that we have had for you all; a note for all of us to add to our mental libraries: Excessive drooling can be a sign of dehydration or infection!
Boy, was I off track thinking that it was mouth irritation. And I should have recalled that drooling can be a sign of nausea. :doh2:

It's a relief that the kittens are nursing well and that mama kitty is getting excellent care and feeling better. Prayers and vibes for a complete and speedy recovery :vibes::vibes:

catpower321

The owner of PB & Jello
Young Cat
Purraise
hey guys, so I went to the vet to check my cat and she was looking like she was getting better. When we went inside the room my cat saw my dad (who's her fav person in the fam) and just got up and meowed. She wasn't drooling as much as last time but she did drool but u can barely see it. She seems more active and one of the helpers there said that she started to eat and drink which was great. She still has like a fever and flu cuzz her temp is really hot like 40ºC(104F). Other than that she did well. We stayed in the room to pet her and watch her nurse when out of nowhere she let out a big sneeze which was really funny. I noticed that there wasnt any wet spots on the blanket we brought for her I guess meaning that she really wasnt drooling as much. Her fur also doesnt seem to be covered in her saliva. Then when we said our goodbyes and got up, she got up as well and meowed like she wanted to go home with us :( pretty sad. But I think she's staying for 2 more days just to be safe!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks for the update. Glad to hear that she sounds like she is on the mend. She will be home soon, I'm sure!

Just think happy thoughts - like how she has her kitties to keep her company!