Cat drooling and not sure why

profcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This morning we noticed our girl Betty drooling. Clear drool, and enough to soak the blanket underneath her. We took her to the vet and the vet found a couple bad teeth, some red gums, and a tiny little cut in the back of her mouth. She thought any of those things could cause the drooling. We have NO IDEA where the cut could come from. Otherwise the vet saw nothing in her mouth and throat. She is not a cat that chews on things at all-- she doesn't even really play with toys. We are totally stumped as to how she could've gotten a cut in her mouth. She had full blood work a few months ago and is otherwise healthy (she's about 9). The vet gave her an anti-inflammatory, antibiotics, and something to stop the drooling for about 6 hours. She stopped drooling today and ate her dinner just fine.

But sure enough, this evening, she's drooling again! The vet said this might happen, and not to panic. It could be the cut and/or her bad teeth (we can get a couple teeth taken out next week). They said if the drooling is excessive tonight, we could take her in for an Xray tomorrow to see if she's got an obstruction (but she doesn't chew on things or eat weird things...)

Should we do the xray or weight and see if the antibiotic and anti-inflammatory help? She's eating and acting fine, just drooling.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
I'd get those teeth out asap and a cleaning of the rest, watch to ensure the cut heals, and then if she's still drooling, go from there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

profcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi!
I'd get those teeth out asap and a cleaning of the rest, watch to ensure the cut heals, and then if she's still drooling, go from there.
Our vet is away now for a few days but when she's back we'll get them out. She did drool a little last night, but not the buckets she was drooling before. I just checked and where she has been sleeping on the bed has no drool, so I don't think we'll bother with an xray today. Thanks!