Cat Doing His Business Outside The Litterbox Even When Its Completely Clean

MikeAW2010

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The cat is Rabbit and he will go right infront of the box and do it infront of it instead of inside of it. I've constantly been cleaning it and even tried different litter brands and cat-attract types of litter but all of them yield the same results.

I can't have him doing this....

What can I do to have him use the potty correctly?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How old is Rabbit? As you are probably already aware, peeing right outside the litter box is usually an indication of a urinary tract infection. It hurts to pee, so the cat associates the box with the pain and then tries to avoid it.

The only way to rule out an infection is through a urinalysis & urine culture. If you would be so lucky as to catch some of the pee in a sterile container, you can run it into your vet's office and have it tested. If not, then you need to take Rabbit in so the vet can get a sample to test. My vet has success just by 'squeezing' Feeby's bladder area to force her to pee.

Rabbit doesn't necessarily have to be acting sick to have an infection. But, if allowed to go on too long, you will begin to see other signs of illness - eating less, lethargy, etc. Best to find out if it is an infection and if so get it treated.

If it turns out not to be an infection, then he might have just had a one time accident, but continues to pee in the same area because he can smell his scent there. Enzymatic cleaners are the only way to remove the urine smell. "The Equalizer" works well on carpeting and non-washable rugs. Fizzion & SCOE10x both work well on all other surfaces, and can be used on wood.

Keep us posted!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is he doing ANYTHING in the box? Pooping? The fact that he goes right next to the box does seem to indicate that he knows what the box is there for, but avoiding out of discomfort, perhaps. Other than that, there's very little I can tell you that FeebysOwner FeebysOwner hasn't already said.

IF he is found to be healthy, and IF the enzyme cleaners don't work, you may need to crate him for a bit. The crate should be large enough for a bed water and food dishes, litter box, and not much else. He'll use the box before using his bed.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Please take him to the vet. Cats often have accidents if there is a medical issue like stones or a bladder infection. If it is something like stones male cats are at high risk of a blockage which could kill them within 24 hours.