Cat doesn't want to sleep on my bed anymore?

zarvee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wow this probably sounds really sad, but recently my kitten has stopped sleeping on my bed and has moved to my sisters!
It's a bit dramatic but i can't help but feel that he's betraying me in a way... The reason i got him was to get a friend and contact so it breaks my heart when he does it.
I move him back onto mine in the hopes that he'll stay but he'll either jump off onto the carpet or onto my sisters bed again.
He always slept on my bed until about 2 weeks ago, but then i wasn't around for a few days, and then i came back and he snubbed me major time aha.
What can i do to get my favourite feline companion to stay with me? I want it to be voluntary - but i admit foul play; i sprayed my sisters bed with perfume... Im a terrible person.

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You could add catnip to your bed, or better yet, one of those very plushy soft blankets that they like to make biscuits on.  Do you and your sister share a room?

I have one cat who prefers sleeping in a cat bed, so I put the cat bed on my bed and he sleeps in it there.  I also have one of those wonderful sherpa blankets that are amazingly soft.  It's not tucked in, I just use it as a cover.   He loves that too.

It is possible that you are a restless sleeper and your sister is not, in which case the cat would prefer sleeping with her because he wouldn't get bumped around so much.  He may not have realized this until you went away for a few days and he wanted someone to sleep with and decided your sister was a better bed partner.  Not much you can do about that other than find things to lure him back to your bed.

By the way, the perfume thing is funny!

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise

You could add catnip to your bed, or better yet, one of those very plushy soft blankets that they like to make biscuits on.  Do you and your sister share a room?

I have one cat who prefers sleeping in a cat bed, so I put the cat bed on my bed and he sleeps in it there.  I also have one of those wonderful sherpa blankets that are amazingly soft.  It's not tucked in, I just use it as a cover.   He loves that too.

It is possible that you are a restless sleeper and your sister is not, in which case the cat would prefer sleeping with her because he wouldn't get bumped around so much.  He may not have realized this until you went away for a few days and he wanted someone to sleep with and decided your sister was a better bed partner.  Not much you can do about that other than find things to lure him back to your bed.

By the way, the perfume thing is funny!

I agree.  That was funny about the perfume.  
  But I understand--I love having my cats sleep with me and miss them when they don't.  I've got three cats and they go through phases--normally two of them sleep with me but sometimes one of them decides to sleep on his bed in the living room for a few nights or something.  He may come back on his own.  And @Red Top Rescue  had some good thoughts, too.  Good luck.  

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
A lot of cats seem to change the spots where they sleep at night every few weeks or months, so it's quite possible that he'll soon be back in your bed.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

You could add catnip to your bed, or better yet, one of those very plushy soft blankets that they like to make biscuits on.
Casper LOVES to make biscuits in the plush blanket on our bed!

He also makes his rounds.  We'll often find him sleeping on the futon when we wake up in the morning then he'll come to make biscuits in bed at night but he sometimes does it the other way around.

Cats is cats!  ;)

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

zarvee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes my sister did say that I'm quite a violent sleeper :eek:
I felt so bad about the perfume, but it did the trick - he jumped onto my bed lol.
And biscuits? Do your cats bake? Aha sorry i don't know what that means!
I'm going to look into catnip and plush blankets and see whether that works, if not... Well the perfume may accidentally spill all over my sisters bed! (Yes we share a room)

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"Making biscuits" = kneading with his front paws.

Kneading is a neotenous behavior. It's a characteristic in an adult cat that is left over from when it was a kitten.
Kittens knead with their front paws to get milk from their mother. Adult cats do it when they feel cozy.

We say "making biscuits" because it looks like the cat is kneading dough. :)

ruaryx

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You could give him a special treat every night right before bed time in your bed.  

cocobutterfly

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A lot of cats seem to change the spots where they sleep at night every few weeks or months, so it's quite possible that he'll soon be back in your bed.
Same here... our cat has changed her sleeping spots quite a few times since we got her in January. First it was on my bed touching my duvet covered leg. If I shifted and moved even one inch away from her body, she move over so that her body was still touching my leg. Then I went away for about a week and she moved to my housemate's bed and slept on her leg. When I came back, she still slept there, but after some bonding time, she came back and slept on my leg. 

We gave her total freedom to wander and choose where she wanted to sleep, and I think that's the best thing that you can do for your cat. Don't be hurt. They're cats doing what makes them happy. Our cat went back and forth a few times, but now she's happy sleeping alone on a chair in the sitting room between our rooms. In the beginning she was probably too insecure and afraid to sleep alone not knowing the safety level of our home. Now that she knows, I'm sure she gets much better and uninterrupted sleep when she's alone. 

Our cat gives me so much love in her own little ways, so I'm gonna give her my unconditional love and freedom for her to go explore and sleep wherever she chooses. Sometimes it makes me sad that she's confined to the house and can't enjoy outdoor trips like we humans do, so as much as I can, I want to provide a safe place for her to explore and wander around the house as much as she wants. 

Don't ever feel betrayed by your cat because she prefers a sleeping arrangement that doesn't center around you. I'm 100% sure she loves you! 

zarvee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I see... My kitten has never done that before actually - but i have a feeling he was taken away from his mum too early, which is sad.

I could try giving him treats but after i give him food he tends to get excited and run around begging lol

He's a very mischievious kitten so we have to shut the sitting room door - his favourite room - because its dangerous for him.
I absolutely adore him, so thats probably the reason why i feel a little bit betrayed but I'm sure he loves me in his own way. I'm also sad that he can never go out (live on third floor and he really is a ditz!)so i bought a kitten harness and a lead for him, but it got a bit much for him so i stopped... Maybe when he's a bit older?

zarvee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also thank you all for your responses you lovely people! :)

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If youre sharing a room im guessing you have a smaller bed too. My kitty doesnt sleep on me because he wants peaceful sleep but i have a king sized bed so he can easily find a spot near me. Try not to be offended. He just wants to get his sleep. :)

zarvee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I bought a blanket and catnip for him, sprinkled on some catnip on my sheets and voila he's now back on my bed! I also bonded with him a lot more so maybe that helped as well. Cats are such independent, fickle creatures so when i tried forcing him indirectly,he responded by rebelling :)

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since we adopted Casper, he's always been more at ease with his girl-human than he has been with me, the guy-human.  Some cats are just that way.  Cats is cats.

However, Casper has been gradually warming up to me.  Where it would have been a red letter day when I get him to sit beside me on the sofa, he now climbs in bed and sleeps between the two of us.  It just takes time and, as always, it's a cat's prerogative to change its mind.  ;)

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise

It just takes time and, as always, it's a cat's prerogative to change its mind.  ;)
So true.  Our cat Rico has always been a 'daddy's boy'--slept beside him, snuggled with him and pretty much ignored me (except at meal time of course). 
  But as he's got older, he's changed.  He will sit on my lap and purr, and sit next to me on the couch, to the point that hubby called him a 'traitor' for coming to me instead of him.  All in good fun, of course.  

emay75

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat did the exact same thing-i found her as a wild kitten, raised her and she had bonded very closely with me, and would spend a whole day sleeping on my bed and sometimes would even forget about meals she was in such a deep sleep. She never stayed the night on my bed, as she has to go outside at night. Suddenly,  she never wants to be in my room, instead she hangs out in my sisters room. Helen (my cat) has always been my responsibility, i feed her, worm her, clean out her litter box and everything, so I can't help feeling a bit sad she has suddenly abandoned me for my sister :( My sister does have a rather nice plush blanket on her bed, but this has never interested Helen before. As soon as i place her in m room she scarpers!

any way I can get her back to enjoying being in my comapny?

thanks,

emay75

ps: sorry for using your thread for my problem :/