Cat Doesn't Like To Get In Cat Crate

catmando2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've been bouncing bank and forth bring my cat to the vet the past couple of months.
One of the hardest thing is getting my cat in the crate to travel to the vet.
Makes me kind of sad too as my cat is like the most gentle. He used to explore and walk right into the crate.
But now he's terrified.

When I pick him up and try to put him in, his legs start kicking like I'm trying to do a kidnapping.

Then I came to thinking. Can't blame him. The process is like a kidnapping. The poor thing :ohwell:.

Last edited:

cejhome

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Can you try a larger crate? I had a wiggler like that. It was easy to set it the crate on the back and and gently plop her in it, close the door then slowly tip it so it was sitting on the bottom. I've seen advise to try and make it a "happy place" - treats or something but there was no fooling our Nilla. I couldn't get her to the vet at all if I didn't give her gabapentin a couple hours before. She hated the whole process - carrier, car, vet.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Larger crate is a good suggestion (they make 2 cat carriers). The carriers with top access are also easier than turning a carrier without top access on its side.

Finally, if you leave the carrier out permanently, or at least a few days in advance of a scheduled vet visit, and toss treats inside, you might be able to lull the cat into going in there voluntarily. Don't just toss the treats on the day of the visit, start days before. You may need to place the first treats on the lip or just outside the carrier. YMMV but this works for many.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a small 7 pd cat and a large crate! No more grabbing the sides. I also leave it in my bedroom closet,pick herr up,take her in and close the door

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catmando2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Managed to get my cat in the cat crate today even without me being scratched :).

Though he didn't enjoy being placed in the carrier (can't blame him). I have a two door carrier that includes a top loading. Managed to pick him up without too much squirming, held onto his front legs and gently directed him head first in the carrier.