Cat doesn't eat as well when it's "cold" ...

darg

Gizmo
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We've been logging our cats eating patterns because he goes through periods when he's got a really good appetite and other periods where he eats less (we count calories). Regardless, he's consistently maintaining the same weight so we don't worry too much about it. But we hadn't been able to come up with any definitive patterns with the exception of one related to the weather. Were in Florida so we don't really have a "winter" per se but we do get a few cold snaps each winter. Gizmo's appetite was down during the last couple of cold (cool) fronts so we thought we would watch for a pattern there. We just had the coldest front of the winter come through starting yesterday and knowing it was coming, we suspected his appetite would be down again. Sure enough, it is.

This is counter intuitive to everything I've read which seems to indicate that cats eat more when they are cold because they burn more calories to keep their body temperatures up. We keep the thermostat at 76 or 77 when the AC is running but when it get's colder the house is kept in the 68-70 degree range.
Again, were almost positive at this point that it's something related to the cooler temperatures that puts him off his food a bit. But it's probably not because he is actually cold. I'm wondering more if it's the heater running, or maybe the humidity or maybe he just is used to it the house being in the mid/upper 70's and when it gets much cooler it puts him off. Other than appetite, he's acting pretty normal ... which is to say that he sleeps most of the time. He's 12 years old.

Anyone have any ideas or theories?

Thanks

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

darg

Gizmo
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi!
This article is indirectly related for you :)

I'm not sure what to think about his eating habits, my boy doesn't seem to change his habits much in regards to anything nowadays lol.

What’s The Ideal Temperature For A Cat? – Cat Articles
Thanks for the link.

I doubt I'll ever get a definitive answer. It may be as simple as he just doesn't eat as much when it's "cold". He's definitely set in his ways. He tends to stick to a certain routine for a while and doesn't like it messed with until he changes it up himself.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat does not like left overs so I add a crushed pure bites treat. Dont know about the weather. I live in Houston. Yesterday I wore shorts. Today Jean's and a light jacket

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
is it possible that the cold makes his food colder? some cats don't like cold food. If you don't already warm it up, I would, eg. by adding few teaspoons of hot water to it. It'd be interesting to see if he likes it more.

Last edited:

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat Maggie will not eat it warmed up. Then its mushy. Never know until you try! Peaches licks her food, Maggie likes pieces, Coco will eat food in one big bite.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does he sleep more? I believe "cats eat more in the cold" is for the winter in general but not necessarily certain cold days. Hima for example sleeps significantly longer hours when the weather outside is really cold although the house is hot. She eats less but it's because she's asleep longer time and also she doesn't move around much to need food and/or digest what she already ate.

darg

Gizmo
Alpha Cat
Purraise
is it possible that the cold makes his food colder? some cats don't like cold food. If you don't already warm it up, I would, eg. by adding few teaspoons of hot water to it. It'd be interesting to see if he likes it more.
Yep, I warm his food. He wont eat it cold from the refrigerator.

darg

Gizmo
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Does he sleep more? I believe "cats eat more in the cold" is for the winter in general but not necessarily certain cold days. Hima for example sleeps significantly longer hours when the weather outside is really cold although the house is hot. She eats less but it's because she's asleep longer time and also she doesn't move around much to need food and/or digest what she already ate.
He sleeps about the same amount but he does choose different locations when it's colder in the house compared to when it's warmer.. He still comes for his meals but he just doesn't eat as much at a sitting.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine eat less in the summer then in the winter. And if I feed Freshpet, they don't tend to eat again or want to eat til the next day. I live in St. Louis where we bundle up in Eskimo parkas at 6 am and ready to jump in the swimming pool 4 hours later. lol

I do notice the cats more active in very cold weather though (they are feral) and that may be to keep them warm. My cats love their food straight from the fridge although they'll eat it warmed up as well. We've had some warm winter days where the cats wouldn't eat much and cold winter days where they ate non stop. So with my ferals it isn't so much season but temperature. And they usually hang out 24/7 in the cat tents now lol