Cat does not like my partner

Remi&RiRi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello! We've had our second cat, RiRi, for about 3 months now. I know this is still a fairly short amount of time but thought that she would have warmed up to my partner a little bit more. I'm sure she is just taking her sweet time which is fine with me but I was wondering if anyone had any tips/ advice for him or myself. RiRi is a little cuddle bug but only with me. She took a little over a month to get fully comfortable with her new surroundings and our first cat and I can tell how much she has improved in that regard since we got her. Her previous owner was a women but thats not to say that she did not have a negative experience with men in the past. That is one of my only ideas as to why she never associates herself with him. My partner and I live together so we are both here a lot. When we got our first kitten, Remi, he was closer to me for the first month or so just because I am at the house more than my partner but eventually Remi got just as close and cuddly with my partner. This hasn't happened with RiRi yet but I know every cat is different. I wouldn't say she's scared of him but she never approaches him. She is the type of cat that likes to be the one to approach, even if I approach her sometimes she will just sit there or walk away if she's not in a cuddly mood whereas our other cat is a little more social in those scenarios. Just for some background - My partner and I take turns feeding the cats and we both play with them during the day. Feel free to leave any advice you may have, thanks for reading.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
She is the type of cat that likes to be the one to approach,
I think it's this - it'll just take time, and also, when he's not feeding or playing with them have him totally ignore her. It's odd how sometimes cats will gravitate towards the person who isn't paying any attention to them :)

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
cats are just like that they pick a favorite person and stick by them when i lived at my dad house still my sisters lil short hair persian picked me as her favorite same thing now with graycie gf is her favorite to play with cause she has better mobility than i have but she sleeps on or near me:lol:follows me wherever i go

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with both of the above members, some cats will have an affinity for their special person. With our last cat she only warmed up to me, not my husband or the kids who were teenagers at the time. She tolerated them but was only affectionate toward me. We never really knew what made the difference and the only thing I can think of is that she became ill four days after we adopted her and I was the one who nursed her back to health. I think it's natural to try and look for a reason why RiRi is not as fond of your partner as she is of you but sometimes as humans we overanalyze. Cats are independent, unique and special in their own way which is we love them. I'm sure eventually she will show your partner more attention but for now just be patient and give her time. Best of luck! 🤗

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Remi&RiRi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks to everyone who responded! I enjoyed reading your replies and feel reassured that she may eventually come around to my partner and if not, well I guess that just makes me feel special (a little sad for my partner) but nothing I can change lol! I have had a few friends that have cats that are similar to RiRi in regards to having a favorite human and I suppose that is the case for RiRi. Don't get me wrong I love being the favorite, I just didn't want my partner to miss out on how great she is! I also know that she took awhile to warm up to me and her new environment when we first brought her home so she may just have her own, slower pace. We both love her and are just happy that she is happy. Thanks again for the responses:heartshape: