Cat Dislocated Front Paw - Must Be Locked In Cage For 2 Months

Evarob

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,
I’m new here, we live in Europe and we have a 3 years old ragdoll that just dislocated his front paw. Apparently he thought himself to be a supercat and misjudged his landing abilities. When the vet gave me an appt for next Wednesday I asked him if it won’t get any worse having to wait for a week to which he replied “it can’t get any worse!”
He will have a surgery and they are putting in wires and something metal on the outside of his paw to wear for a period of 2 months.
The worst thing is that he must be locked in a cage with litter, food and water for the duration of 2 months. We mustn’t let him out or even take him out for cuddles because if he sprints off, it won’t heal and the surgery would have been for nothing. He also warned us not to take him out because we’ll never make him go back and if we do, he’ll cry for attention making it worse for all of us. I’m utterly horrified by this torture we have to put him through. Vet’s explanation is that humans also have to lie and not move their leg for 1-2 months after breaking their leg. But at least they know why, but the poor cat...
My dad thinks it’s so cruel, he should be put down instead, like a horse would be.
Obviously no one wants to do that, he’s very young, only turned 3. And besides, he’s otherwise fine. He doesn’t seem to be suffering with pain and is eating happily and even playing with the other cat we have, despite his very obvious limp. I’m just looking for some reasons not to feel so awful about this whole thing. Has anyone heard of such thing or had gone through something similar with their pet? Thank you!!

shelbyviper

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had a dog that was hit by a car. His leg was broken and he had a rod put in. We had to keep him in a cage and put in a ramp so he could go out to do his business. For the first 2 weeks we had to carry him. Thank goodness he wasn't a St Bernard.

shelbyviper

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He turned out fine. But it was rough not being able to cuddle with him.

I also wanted to welcome you. I am new also. Careful. This site is addicting.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My boy broke his leg and we were supposed to lit his movement for two months while it healed. We didn't limit it enough and he rebroke the leg (crazy child). Ended up having to put him on two month crate rest and he was about 3 years old. Super hyper and very annoyed by the whole thing.

I'd agree with your vet that even letting him out for a little under supervision is a bad idea. You end up extending it too long or getting distracted and your cat does too much or gets used to being out. It's hard but it's easier if it's constant. Your cat gets used to it and doesn't push as hard to get out after a while. We did put my boy in a carrier when we cleaned the crate (twice a day in our case because my boy is a neat freak and would get upset if we didn't clean it twice a day). We usually left him in the carrier until he was ready to go back in the crate and would move the carrier around the house with us. We'd also bring the crate into the front to if we were watching a movie so he could be around us.

It's hard, won't lie. But two months will be over before you know it and your cat will be fine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Evarob

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He turned out fine. But it was rough not being able to cuddle with him.

I also wanted to welcome you. I am new also. Careful. This site is addicting.
Thank you for sharing your story and for the welcome! I’m pleased that your dog is ok now. I think I just needed some reassurance to know that it can be done!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Evarob

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My boy broke his leg and we were supposed to lit his movement for two months while it healed. We didn't limit it enough and he rebroke the leg (crazy child). Ended up having to put him on two month crate rest and he was about 3 years old. Super hyper and very annoyed by the whole thing.

I'd agree with your vet that even letting him out for a little under supervision is a bad idea. You end up extending it too long or getting distracted and your cat does too much or gets used to being out. It's hard but it's easier if it's constant. Your cat gets used to it and doesn't push as hard to get out after a while. We did put my boy in a carrier when we cleaned the crate (twice a day in our case because my boy is a neat freak and would get upset if we didn't clean it twice a day). We usually left him in the carrier until he was ready to go back in the crate and would move the carrier around the house with us. We'd also bring the crate into the front to if we were watching a movie so he could be around us.

It's hard, won't lie. But two months will be over before you know it and your cat will be fine.
Thank you for the encouragement!! Sounds like very similar situation to ours! Your cat is gorgeous and looks quite comfy in the crate. As you say, it’s very tempting to take them out but I will try hard to resist. I certainly don’t want to prolong his suffering. A great tip about putting him in the carrier and take him with us to watch tv, etc.