Cat died suddenly

iLoveNoodles

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So my cat, Noodles, died around four years ago (I only just discovered this website) and I'm curious as to why because it was so out of the blue and it took some recovering from. I live on the fourth and topmost floor of my building. Noodles loved to climb up to the terrace through my veranda almost every evening. I was wary of him doing that as my neighbourhood has a population of civet cats and I was seriously afraid of them attacking him (he wasn't scared in the slightest, but that's a tale for another time). So every night I used to try and make sure he stayed indoors, but on the occasions that he did manage to slip out, I stayed up till he came back. Then this one night, there was no sign of him even at 3 AM. I went out looking, as I so often did, but to no avail. I searched the terrace, the ground floor and everything in between. My building security guard assisted me in some of this, and I told him to call me if he saw Noodles, no matter the time. Finally, at around 6 AM, I went to bed, praying that he was safe and that I'd wake up and he'd be right outside my door asking for food.
What I woke up to was a call from security, saying that he'd found Noodles. I rushed out of my bed and downstairs to find noodles underneath the bottom-most flight of stairs, quietly perched and unusually still. What was even stranger is that he didn't play his usual game of cat and mouse when I tried to reach in and pick him up. He seemed a little uneasy on the elevator up, but I didn't think much of it. As soon as I came into my apartment, I left him on my sofa and given that it was almost 8.30 at this point, I started pouring him his favourite cat food and laid the bowl at the spot he usually eats. On a normal day, he's at the spot as soon as I unclasp the lid to his food jar. That day, however, I found him walking to a corner in my veranda in a manner that was laboured and highly unlike him. At this point, the worry started to creep in, and what made it worse is that I saw a foam like substance around the corners of his mouth. I thought the best course of action at this point would be to have him drink some water, so I picked him up and plopped him down over his water bowl.
I had no clue that the next few minutes were going to be his last. He froze completely, with his head hovering millimetres above the water, and then a few seconds later- he started choking. Panicking, I rushed into my parents' bedroom and woke up my dad. We rushed out and my dad immediately cradled Noodles in his arms and looked down his throat to see if there was anything stuck in there, but there was nothing. He even put a finger down his throat and tried to feel for something/ free up his windpipe, but to no avail. After a minute of trying he gave up, but I continued to hold Noodles, refusing to believe what was about to happen. I even tried to lightly Heimlich maneuvre him, but a nothing happened. Then, right there, with him looking at me with what I can only assume to mean a, "Why is this happening to me? Weren't you supposed to protect me?" look, he went limp, his eyes became glazed, and he peed on me a little. He was only a year old. He was my little baby. And he died. It absolutely crushed me. I broke down almost instantly and it took me several weeks, if not months to recover. It still irks me to this day that I have no clue what happened. He was completely fine one day, and then gone the next. It makes me angry to think about the fact that someone may have done this to him and it still hurts when I think that I wasn't there to save him. Don't get me wrong, it's become a lot better over the years, but three days from now (April 17th, 2021) will be his fourth death anniversary and it got me thinking about how it happened, again. So does anyone have a theory? I really miss him.

Thanks

SunflowerMallory

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well to me it sounds like he possibly got in to some rat poison or he tried eating a mouse that had ingested rat poison.
So sorry for your loss. I know it's tough. Think of the happy times :)

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Foaming usually indicates poison, but it could also have been heart-related, something he was born with. If he was traumatized, like hit by a car, you would have seen blood instead of foam. Poison or heart, there was absolutely nothing you could have done, I'm so sorry. I know how long it takes to get through something like this, and though you will never get over it, you will learn in time to cope with it. You were with your precious little one when he crossed over, and that meant everything to him. He will always be as close as your thoughts and prayers, love is spiritual, so eternal. RIP sweet Noodles. You will never be forgotten, you will always have a secure place in a loving heart. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Noodles, dream you deep. Your pawprints are on someone's heart forever.

Darlin, I'm willing to bet that what that look meant was, "This is no fun, and thank goodness you're here to be with me. I love you."

KittyJ

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry that happened. You did all that you could. Dear Noddles is in a better place now. He knows nothing of pain. He passed knowing that he was loved so dearly. The only thing any pet owner could ask for is to be there when their pet passes. It was blessing to you and him to have been there. God bless.

SantoJenMama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So sorry. I know it feels awful, even guilt ridden, but that's not necessarily the truth.

In Noodles' last moment, he was cared for, loved, and embraced. He knew that. He was probably trying to tell you how grateful he was.

It sounds like he was having problem breathing. You probably answered his prayers that he was able to be with you before he passed.

It's sad, but we can't save them all. Cats know this,but I didn't. It hurts like H.

Please don't discount all the love and care you've given Noodles.