Cat Died From Cancer......heartbroken

taomom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey guys,

Our cat Tao had passed away last week. He had stomach cancer. :( We are so heartbroken. He died just a month before his 16th birthday.
My husband made a tribute video to help with the healing process, I would like to share with you all:

I hope that the video will also help those who are in the healing process. Our cats are such special part of our lives.

Last edited:

Lotski

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wish there was something I could say to make you feel better, but experience taught me there's nothing that can. The only thing I can say is that I hope you guys are surrounded by warmth, great people, hugs, and everything else... The video broke my heart. Tao was a real stud and seemed very sweet. Lots of hugs... <3

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

taomom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi Lotski,

Thanks. And yes, the people we interact with are very supporting and can understand our pain. Sorry the video made you sad, I guess it's a reminiscence of your past pet loss? And yes Tao was so sweet, one of the sweetest and patient cat ever. I still miss him waking us up early at 5am in the morning with his soft meows. And stalking me in the bathroom when I did my thing. I miss our special cuddle times together. Also our outdoor adventures.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Such a handsome fellow.

I am very sorry for your loss. No words from me can ever really help heal your heart that has been broken because of his passing. May you find comfort to the thought that he is now free from any physical pain that he had to endure.

Hang in there.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss. I know it's cliche but it's true: he will continue to live with you in your memories. Death can never take them away.

Lotski

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Lotski,

Thanks. And yes, the people we interact with are very supporting and can understand our pain. Sorry the video made you sad, I guess it's a reminiscence of your past pet loss? And yes Tao was so sweet, one of the sweetest and patient cat ever. I still miss him waking us up early at 5am in the morning with his soft meows. And stalking me in the bathroom when I did my thing. I miss our special cuddle times together. Also our outdoor adventures.
Good to hear you guys are surrounded by supportive people. That is so important.

You absolutely don't have to say sorry because the video made me sad. I haven't lost a pet yet. We did have a health scare with our four year old cat Penny 2 weeks ago, and I was afraid we'd lose her. I just get really sad when I hear about people who lost their pet, because I know they probably meant the world to them. I couldn't stop crying and panicking when our cat was 'just sick'. Her absence while she was at the vet clinic wrecked me up. I can't imagine how heartbreaking it must be to lose a pet. Our cat Penny is my ray of light in dark times, my world. Tao meant the same to you guys...

If they had only the same lifespan as humans, so they could grow old with us. I've been thinking that a lot the past few weeks.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
We lost Simon our Tuxedo 5/2014 to stomach cancer also, it was horrible, but he and your little friend are fine now just fine, and when we see them again one day it will be wonderful.

"Their last breath on Earth is their first breath in Heaven" :rbheart:

I hope that your hearts heal a bit more each day, God Bless......:alright: :grouphug2: :rbheart:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Tao, dream you deep. You walk in someone's heart forever.

What a beautiful tribute to a special cat! I can tell that he lived, and breathed, and had his being immersed in your love. I know you did everything possible for him, and that when his time came, you helped him to shrug of his heavy coat of flesh and fur that could no longer support his great heart and loving spirit. Now he dances on sunlight in a place where eternity is but a moment. One day in the fullness of time, you, too, will shrug off your own heavy coat of flesh and dance with him in joyous reunion. Until that time, dance on, sweet Tao, dance on!

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey guys,

Our cat Tao had passed away last week. He had stomach cancer. :( We are so heartbroken. He died just a month before his 16th birthday.
My husband made a tribute video to help with the healing process, I would like to share with you all:

I hope that the video will also help those who are in the healing process. Our cats are such special part of our lives.
Im so very sorry for the loss of ure sweet precious kitty:alright::heartshape::redheartpump::catlove::(

GaryT

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss.

It is hard no matter how it happens. And, for me, it gets harder with every loss. These little creatures fill our lives with so much laughter, joy, love, warmth returned in triple. These little fur-balls are free spirits who really shine when they exist in a loving home.

I lost my boy, Oliver, almost a year ago now and I miss him terribly. The best thing I did was get another. At first I didn't think any cat could replace my Oliver (This is a true statement) but, this little guy I have now has wormed his way deep into my heart and soul. I can't imagine being without him. Getting another is the best medicine. IMHO

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey guys,

I just wanna say im so so very sorry for ure loss n so so sorry for Tao that was so sick..the only thing I feel I can say that may help...is Tao is not in any pain or discomfort anymore..:heartshape::redheartpump::grouphug::petcat::angelcat::catlove:

GingersFloofs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss. Tao was such a handsome fella. Try and take solace in the fact that he's no longer feeling any pain and where he is now he's completely healthy again. The tribute video your husband made was beautifully done and brought a tear or two to my eye. I can tell he was so loved by the both of you. :hugs:

GaryT

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss.

It is hard no matter how it happens. And, for me, it gets harder with every loss. These little creatures fill our lives with so much laughter, joy, love, warmth returned in triple. These little fur-balls are free spirits who really shine when they exist in a loving home.

I lost my boy, Oliver, almost a year ago now and I miss him terribly. The best thing I did was get another. At first I didn't think any cat could replace my Oliver (This is a true statement) but, this little guy I have now has wormed his way deep into my heart and soul. I can't imagine being without him. Getting another is the best medicine. IMHO
I am getting my dates mixed up....Theo's Birthday is coming up on the 28th. I lost Oliver on May 22, 2018. (I guess I am getting senile! Or getting my months mixed up.....it sure has not acted like June around here!)

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Their life spans are so much shorter than ours, to live to sixteen is a tribute to your love and care. I believe it is this way because we are capable of so many loves in our lives, we can give homes and love to so many who so despoerately need it. Each one takes up a little part of our soul, and the piece they take up they take with them when they go, but they leave a little piece of themselves behind for comfort......
Tao shared your life for 16 years and will be in your heart for eternity. He will forever be as close as your thoughts and prayers. He lives on through you now, the bond of love you forged through those years can never be taken from you, "death cannot take that which never dies". I pray you can use your precious memories of happier times to bring comfort, and can feel his sweet kisses that come now on the summer breeze.
My thoughts and prayers are with you all, I know how much this hurts and how long it takes to work through a broken heart. Thank you for your lovely tribute to a boy who so richly deserved it, he will have the prayers and thoughts of many now to speed him to the waiting arms of angels. Take care......RIP beautiful Tao, you will be eternally missed, you will forever have a secure place in loving hearts. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

taomom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am grateful to be part of this community. And you guys do have a way with words, and they do help. To be honest, losing a pet is sometimes more difficult than losing a relative despite what other people might think or say. Even before our cat's death, there were already times when I would be crying just thinking about 'what if' he dies. I would be so paranoid or act 'crazy' whenever he would get sick, I decided I needed to get into that meditation program because having the type of negative energy would only stress out our cat even more. But meditation really helped me develop a better sense of calmness. I really do think animals make us better people, they teach us soooo much about patience. Not only did being calm and collected benefited the many difficult scenarios I have encountered dealing with a pet with cancer but in life in general.

There are still days where thinking about him makes me shed a tear. Times where I would long for his presence and soft lovely meows. But I try to appreciate that he did have a great life and accept that cats can't live as long as humans and rightfully so. I wouldnt want a sentient being who depends on me to outlive me. And yes, my hubby and I will be adopting a pet sometime this year, but definitely not this summer yet.

Once again, I appreciate your thoughts and sympathy. Really touching words. Some of you guys sound like poets, no joke.

KittyCatCove

Daddy of 4
Adult Cat
Purraise
Very sorry for your loss. He was a beautiful boy and personality. I'm sure you gave him a great life. You will meet again someday.

taomom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’m so sorry you lost Tao. I really loved the video clips of him on his harness!
View attachment 289187
View attachment 289188
Those are nice poems, very heartfelt. :)
Yes, I remembered clearly when I first put on the harness, he was a bit skeptical and he only went out for 1 minute outside. Then the next few days, he started staying out longer and longer, after a week, he was walking for 30 to 45 min a day! :) I decided to have him walk on a leash because I heard too many stories of cats getting poisoned by frogs here in Florida, getting run over by cars, or cats getting murdered by dogs or wild animals. I wanted to keep Tao as safe as I possibly can but at the same time I wanted him to have fun. A cat is not a cat without outdoor access. I heard a vet said that before and it is true. :)

For those thinking of having your cats walk on a leash, I suggest to have your cat get used to the harness first INSIDE your home, WITHOUT the leash. A lot of cats are not as laidback as my cat Tao. So if your cat is the anxious or nervous type, it may take longer to have him or her get used to the harness. :wink: Then eventually, you add the leash to the picture.

Last edited:

taomom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Very sorry for your loss. He was a beautiful boy and personality. I'm sure you gave him a great life. You will meet again someday.
I sure hope so. That will make death less undesirable if I know that I will see him again.