Cat didn't poop yet today (about 24 hours?)

elewy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Betsy is 4. She was recently diagnosed with feline herpes which manifests primarily as sneeze attacks with a little coughing. But since I started her on twice a day lysine she's literally sneezed twice, and had no sneeze attacks. She seems to be asymptomatic of the herpes right now.

I usually give her the herpes meds after her food but this I ended up giving it to her at a different time in the wee hours when we both woke up, before her breakfast.

She is acting totally normal, but I noticed that she hasn't pooped today even though she ate twice.  She isn't displaying any symptoms of constipation other than the fact that I just don't see any poop in the box.

I am physically disabled and sometimes when we clean out the whole box we find I've missed 1-2 lumps over the time since the box was cleaned so there may be a lump in there I am missing.

She seems happy, healthy, and is eating and drinking. (She drank after getting the herpes paste. She normally doesn't drink a lot but I give her wet food for every meal to compensate for that. But she also drank this morning.)  The only thing is I am pretty sure she hasn't pooped.

I won't have help with her again until tomorrow evening so I can give her wet food (that is accessible to me) but I can't give her any other stuff like extra tuna or oil which I looked up as a poop remedy for cats.  I might be able to get a friend to come over in the morning to help me do that, but as my schedule stands now I wouldn't be able to until tomorrow evening.

This is a small factor but she just got a new cat tree and may be so excited about it it could effect her in some way? I don't know. But she seems totally normal--eating fine, playing, drinking, ZERO puking or other constipation symptoms.  But this is the first time that there hasn't been poop in the box in a 24 hour period. Any thoughts?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

elewy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also she got her first distemper shot for the year on Monday and hasn't been showing any signs of sickness or lethargy from that so far.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

elewy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update: Sorry for posting here and quickly resolving it: she is fine!  My friends and I think she was just excited about the new cat tree.  The situation has resolved itself.  I also read since posting this that cats do not poop on any set schedule. So just lack of pooping is not a sign of constipation... so everything is still good. :) She is my seventh cat but this is the first time I am in charge of everything so I have new parent jitters and anxiety. Whee.

mosimom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Welcome elewy!

There is no set schedule with my cat either....she may poop at 24, or 48, and sometimes 60 hours. As long as your kitty is acting normal...she is fine. If she is in and out of the box and you see no results or if she is obviously straining then there is a problem. She was excited about her new tree and the routine flew out the window...cats are like toddlers...lol.