Cat Diarrhea- Bloodwork Normal

soccerash21

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!

My 12 year old cat has had some diarrhea on and off for a few weeks, and I have no idea what is causing it. First I thought it was from treats, so I cut those, but it still happened. Then I thought it was maybe from some carrots that are in her wet food (that she has been on for 3 years) because she had some diarrhea earlier in the week and (gross, tmi sorry) it was full of the carrot pieces, which I've never seen her poop out in full like that before. So I started picking the carrots out of her food. Last Sunday she wasn't eating much (not normal for my 15 pound maine coon mix), but later in the day had a poop that had a lot of hair in it, so I thought maybe she just had a hairball, passed it, and we were okay. Tuesday night she had normal bathroom stuff. Wednesday morning we were back to diarrhea, so I took her to a vet. They did bloodwork that all came back normal. I brought in a stool sample, but she is indoor only, so they said hold off. They sent her home with probiotic paste and some to sprinkle onto her food, and also a new perscription food (she's been on hills c/d because she's had uti's in the past.) She had a normal poop Weds morning, and then another diarrhea. The vet Weds said if it doesn't clear up, we can do a stool sample and xrays, but didn't seem to think stool sample or xrays were important right now because she said she didn't feel like she was blocked up, and should be okay since she is indoor only as far as the stool sample. I've been told her whole life that she has allergies, but we don't know to what. She always sneezes, has runny eyes, itchy skin. Her food has been the same for the past 3 years. She has gotteb diarrhea once in a while before, but not where it's been on and off for a few weeks. I'm just not understanding why she will have a normal poop, and the a day or two later back to diarrhea like once and then back to normal. The vet said it could be caused by so many things, and I thought that by at least having the bloodwork done, it would rule out anything serious but the vet did say possibilities could be some form of cancer that can only be detected with a biopsy, so my health anxiety over her has been spiraling.

Friday I noticed she had what we think is a pimple under her chin she ripped open (she has cat acne.) I took her to another vet, who gave her a topical antibiotic for it, and also gave us an antibiotic for the diarrhea to see if it helped. Friday morning she had a normal poop, then later had diarrhea again. Saturday she had one normal poop piece, and another half normal poop piece/half diarrhea. Sunday 1 poop mixed with diarrhea, and wasn't eating as much dry food. Monday I bought her c/d dry chicken food that she has been eating. She is now on that, with i/d hills wet chicken to see if maybe the fish is what's causing the issue. The vet Friday didn't seem concerned, and said it can be caused from so many issues. She did say her bloodwork all looked normal and fine.

Has anyone had anything similar happen? I asked the vet if it could be a food allergy and she said possibly, but I would think if it was a food allergy, it would be constant? Thank you so much to anyone who may have stuck around and read this with any ideas! Not asking for advice, just wondering if anyone has experienced this as I'm unsure what else to do. My cat is my life and I would do anything for her, so I'm just looking to see if anyone has any ideas as I'm terrified that something else may be going on, or maybe this is just a food allergy. The vet did tell me they can have that happen out of nowhere, so I guess it isn't completely unlikely. Here is what we are currently on:

antibiotic until I think at least middle of this week once it finishes
Probiotic sprinkled into her food (am doing once a day everyday now)
Was giving probiotic paste but stopped that today
As of Friday, switched from hills c/d tuna to hills i/d chicken wet
As of Monday, switched from hills c/d tuna to hills c/d chicken dry
Tried pumpkin a few times. Ate it a few times and now not interested.
Also switched to a dry food dispenser
Also was placed on an antiobiotic ointment Fri for pimple we think she popped open under chin, but that seems to almost be cleared up.

This morning she had 2 poops that were almost normal. She has been drinking and peeing normally. She is eating dry food on and off, it may be less then she normally does a bit. She also looks like she may not feel well, but it also may be my anxiety telling myself that. She's clearly had a lot of change in a short amount of time, but we're just trying to see what can make her feel better. I'm praying that since she had an almost normal poop this morning that maybe it is the fish that she's allergic to, but she's had over the last week or so okay poops and then back to diarrhea. I'm just at a loss and my logic was to wait until the antibiotic was done and wait until she's been on the dry + wet chicken for a bit to see if it gets better, but at this point I don't even know. Both vets I went to were so laid back about it, and told me cat diarrhea is so hard to pinpoint, so I was hoping starting with the food would be good.

Thank you so much to anyone who stuck around on this long post!

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sorry you are going through this, its so upsetting. I have a cat that is allergic to chicken and gets diarrhoea if his food is changed. I give him s boulardii, half a capsule twice a day either mixed into his food or added to a little water and syringed. Within two days the diarrhoea has gone. Its a pre and probiotic so a maintenance dose would be fine.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0BJQC18VT/?tag=

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, my boy is having some of the same issue. I'm giving him a probiotic that also contains a probiotic.

The prebiotic is important because it supports the probiotic, making it more beneficial.

You might check the two probiotics, it could be that you'll want to start giving the paste again.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. You said you weren't asking for advice, but that is all I know to respond with.

It sounds like she is on more than one kind of food - if that is the case, then intermittent diarrhea is a possibility as one may cause it and another does not. Check for the timing of the diarrhea in conjunction to the time of each food type given her. It may not be that easy to decipher, but it is a place to start. Continual changes to food can also cause digestive issues, the cat never has time for their system to adjust to a new food before another is introduced. Antibiotics can also cause diarrhea. And many probiotics are rendered less effective by antibiotics.

I agree with trying s. boulardii. Because it is yeast based, it is not impacted by antibiotics. It has been shown to be very effective in helping with diarrhea.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

soccerash21

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm sorry you are going through this, its so upsetting. I have a cat that is allergic to chicken and gets diarrhoea if his food is changed. I give him s boulardii, half a capsule twice a day either mixed into his food or added to a little water and syringed. Within two days the diarrhoea has gone. Its a pre and probiotic so a maintenance dose would be fine.

Jarrow Formulas, Saccharomyces boulardii Plus MOS, 250mg, High-Dose, 90 Vegan Capsules, Lab-Tested, Gluten-Free, Vegetarian, Soy-Free, Non-GMO : Amazon.co.uk: Health & Personal Care
Thank you SO much for this. I will check it out!

soccerash21

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. You said you weren't asking for advice, but that is all I know to respond with.

It sounds like she is on more than one kind of food - if that is the case, then intermittent diarrhea is a possibility as one may cause it and another does not. Check for the timing of the diarrhea in conjunction to the time of each food type given her. It may not be that easy to decipher, but it is a place to start. Continual changes to food can also cause digestive issues, the cat never has time for their system to adjust to a new food before another is introduced. Antibiotics can also cause diarrhea. And many probiotics are rendered less effective by antibiotics.

I agree with trying s. boulardii. Because it is yeast based, it is not impacted by antibiotics. It has been shown to be very effective in helping with diarrhea.
I appreciate your response and help so much. Thank you for your help. I have started writing everything down since I work from home and am home all day with her, but I'm hoping this will help. Appreciate your advice!!

soccerash21

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, my boy is having some of the same issue. I'm giving him a probiotic that also contains a probiotic.

The prebiotic is important because it supports the probiotic, making it more beneficial.

You might check the two probiotics, it could be that you'll want to start giving the paste again.
Thank you so much for your response!

soccerash21

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update:

Yesterday she had almost solid poop. Last night she has almost solid poop. This AM she had diarrhea. I thought we were going into the right direction but bam, diarrhea is back fully. I gave her the probiotic paste again this AM and I guess will keep trying that. She's still on the antibiotic but that should be gone within a few days. She's also been on that antibiotic before though and I don't remember it giving her diarrhea previously. I'm just at a loss because I have no idea why some of her poops are going from almost okay back to diarrhea.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What antibiotic is it? How long is the total prescription for, and the dosage? The dosage and duration could impact whether or not diarrhea occurs, even if she has had it before. Also, if it a generic version, inactive ingredients vary by each version - also a probable cause. But, as said before, most probiotics will be rendered ineffective when used at the same time of antibiotics - other than those that contain s. boulardii.

Even if is not the antibiotic causing the diarrhea, the s. boulardii should help. Sometimes there is never an answer directly found for when diarrhea occurs. But antibiotics and food changes are definitely possible causes.

soccerash21

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What antibiotic is it? How long is the total prescription for, and the dosage? The dosage and duration could impact whether or not diarrhea occurs, even if she has had it before. Also, if it a generic version, inactive ingredients vary by each version - also a probable cause. But, as said before, most probiotics will be rendered ineffective when used at the same time of antibiotics - other than those that contain s. boulardii.

Even if is not the antibiotic causing the diarrhea, the s. boulardii should help. Sometimes there is never an answer directly found for when diarrhea occurs. But antibiotics and food changes are definitely possible causes.
Hi!

Antibiotic is Metronidazole Hydrochloride/Metronidazole Benzoate
0.7 ml every 12 hours. She started it Friday and it looks like it's almost finished up.

Probiotic- Porviable-DC paste and capsule

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks! Metronidazole is an antibacterial and antiprotozoal agent, which when one or the other of these is the cause for diarrhea, it is supposed to help. Metro, as an antibacterial antibiotic, is used to kill several strains of bacteria in the gut that have been over-produced which can be the cause of diarrhea. However, probiotics are made of bacterial strains, and even though these are supposed to be the 'good' ones, I don't think Metro can decipher between all 'good' and 'bad'. So...

Metro is also used when the underlying cause of the diarrhea is unknown, in the hopes it will help. But, if there is something else behind the diarrhea, there is no guarantee it will stop it. Metro, from what I have seen, seems to be the 'go to' by many vets because it can be effective in many cases.

I believe Proviable will be rendered less effective with antibiotics, as in this case, Metro may likely be killing off some of the bacterial strains in Proviable.

Oversimplified a bit, but not to the degree that it distorts the general gist.

soccerash21

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks! Metronidazole is an antibacterial and antiprotozoal agent, which when one or the other of these is the cause for diarrhea, it is supposed to help. Metro, as an antibacterial antibiotic, is used to kill several strains of bacteria in the gut that have been over-produced which can be the cause of diarrhea. However, probiotics are made of bacterial strains, and even though these are supposed to be the 'good' ones, I don't think Metro can decipher between all 'good' and 'bad'. So...

Metro is also used when the underlying cause of the diarrhea is unknown, in the hopes it will help. But, if there is something else behind the diarrhea, there is no guarantee it will stop it. Metro, from what I have seen, seems to be the 'go to' by many vets because it can be effective in many cases.

I believe Proviable will be rendered less effective with antibiotics, as in this case, Metro may likely be killing off some of the bacterial strains in Proviable.

Oversimplified a bit, but not to the degree that it distorts the general gist.
You have been SO incredibly helpful to my anxiety and cat knowledge! Thank you SO much for your responses and help! I think we probably still have a few days left on the antibiotic, so I guess we will play it by ear and will see how it goes once that's stopped. I also have changed her wet and dry food out completely to see if the chicken helps since she was getting fish, so that mixed with the antibiotic, pumpkin i've tried, open pimple she had under her chin has just been a slew of new and different things in about a weeks time frame. I've been so stressed and worried that there is some underlying cause since the vets said some form of cancer can be the cause of the diarrhea, but she is eating, drinking, urinating and acting completely normal, so I am hoping that's a good sign and that maybe it is just from a food allergy or maybe IBD. The anxiety her having diarrhea has caused me is crazy because I am so attached to her, but I'm hoping it clears up.
Thank you again SO much.

soccerash21

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update:

Thank you SO much to everyone on here. Mittens has seemed to get better! She finished her antibiotic, and we have fully switched her onto Hills C/D dry chicken, and Hills I/D wet chicken. She is still receiving Proviable DC probiotics that I am going to continue to give her daily. Her stools have been more normal shaped, and although sometimes still soft, are nothing compared to what they were. Hopefully since it seems to be better, all is now okay and perhaps it was just a random food allergy she developed to the fish, even after being on it for so long. Everyone on here have been wonderful support systems, and I can't thank you all enough for your help! Photo attached of Mittens, my 15 pound maine coon mixed ball of fluff, who thanks you as well! :)

Attachments