Cat diarrhea and runny eye

ArcticFenec

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone,

this February we found a kitten (maybe 2-3 months old) standing on the road on our way home. After we brought him home we defleeced him, gave him some medication for worm prevention and etc. When we brought him home he had a runny eye and sneezed pretty often, but since it was winter and we found him in the middle of the road - we decided that it was just a cold.

After some time we noticed that one eye is still runny and he started having mushy stool, while the sneezing almost stopped so we gave him some amoxicilin/claviculum for the runny eye and diarrhea.

He has diarrhea now for maybe 3 months and we ran out of ideas. He defecates 5-6 times a day. And since he does it so often and in high volumes, he stars doing it on the floor while we are at work.

We also have another cat and a dog, all pets live together and spend most of the time together playing and etc.

One of the vets we recently visited suggested that it may be protozoa infection, but stool should have a verry specific (nasty) smell and as far as i understand other pets would have similar problems?

Did any of you had any similar problems? Do you have any advices? What do you think might be a problem?

I have also attached a picture of his feces.

P.s. We tried changing his diet 3 or 4 times.

Attachments

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, that poop looks weird. What have you been feeding him? Has he had fecals done? Has he been dewormed?

The runny eye could be from feline herpesvirus. It wouldn't not be unusual for him to have it, especially since you got him as a stray. For some cats, it's a chronic thing that they just have to deal with.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’d definitely bring the sample to the wet to examine, I’m not sure if I’m seeing white spots but if so, it may be some worms. If the fecal flotation test won’t show anything, I’d done fecal PCR test that would most likely reveal what’s happening. By all means it can be protozoa even if you other animals have no symptoms, adults are generally better at handling things.
I’d also do the general bloodwork to see how is he really, such a long diarrhea could have negative effects on his small body.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ArcticFenec

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wow, that poop looks weird. What have you been feeding him? Has he had fecals done? Has he been dewormed?

The runny eye could be from feline herpesvirus. It wouldn't not be unusual for him to have it, especially since you got him as a stray. For some cats, it's a chronic thing that they just have to deal with.
Curently we feed him with dry Josera Missy cat food, we tried Josera Classic, some other brand cat food. We have also tried to feed him for a week with only canned food.

Yes, he has been dewormed two times now (once when we brought him home and second time last week) - nothing changed. But as i told before, we do not exactly remember the moment he started having diarrhea, as far as we remember he had diarrhea when we brought him home, later on it stopped and now he has it again for like 3 months.

The vet said that deworming medicine should have worked and he should have stopped having diarrhea... Since it did not stop they do not suspect worms...

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I agree with She's a witch She's a witch regarding the fecal PCR test - to rule out/confirm viral, bacterial or protozoal agents. If that comes back negative, you will probably have to go down the route of ruling out possible food issues that might be causing it.

You can take a fecal sample right out of the litter box, bag it and take it to the vet for testing. If you can't go right after collecting it, you can refrigerate it for several hours without affecting the testing. Just make sure your vet is willing to have you bring in the sample without seeing your cat at the same time - most vets are.