Cat Deterrent For Leather Furniture

cathmarie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good morning everyone. I have recently brought an previously 10 year old outdoor cat inside. He has been outside for the last three years (since I have been at my home). He belonged to someone previously and they moved and left him. I finally got him neutered and his shots are up to date so he sleeps inside at night and loves to do so. I have left him inside a couple days when I went to work when it was raining. Unknown to me and my sensitive nose, he has sprayed my sofa a couple times. The last time was earlier this week and happened to be the one I noticed. I have tried removing the smell (vinegar and water) but no luck. I am getting rid of the sofa today (it is actually pretty old and this is a good reason to not put too much effort into cleaning it). I will be eventually getting a new leather sofa eventually. Can you recommend anything I can spray on the new leather sofa that will deter him from spraying but still be safe for the leather?

I will be working on his litter habits. I do know he does not like to go in covered litter pans, he doesn't like to be enclosed at all.

Thanks for everyone's input.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
TCS has a couple articles on stopping cats from scratching furniture, and this product is mentioned in one of them, but not sure if it is safe for leather.

amazon.com/gp/product/B01I8G4W9C/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B01I8G4W9C&linkCode=as2&tag=thecatsite&linkId=844f490060a43b4d31a3ab082e373a5f

Here are the article links:
23 Proven Ways To Stop A Cat From Scratching Furniture
How To Stop Your Cat From Scratching The Furniture | TheCatSite

About the urine smell, vinegar and water doesn't work. You need an enzyme cleaner.

Combat Cat Urine | TheCatSite
How To Remove Cat Urine | TheCatSite
How To Remove Cat Urine Odor From Your Home | TheCatSite

BTW, thanks for getting the cat neutered and bringing him into your home. I just can't understand people who move and abandon their cats. :(

How long ago was he neutered? The hormones stay in their bodies for a few weeks after neutering, so if it's been recent, he may stop spraying once they're totally gone.

Here's some more article links:
How To Solve Litterbox Problems In Cats: The Ultimate Guide | TheCatSite
Litterbox Problems? Here's Why You Should Call Your Vet | TheCatSite
Inappropriate Peeing, Spraying, Toy Obsession And Leg And Hand Nipping | TheCatSite
Spraying: When Your Cat Uses Urine To Mark Territory | TheCatSite

Last edited:

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I’ve used Feliway spray on fabric furniture successfully to keep Mocha from scratching it, BUT I don’t know if it would stain leather. It’s supposed to work for spraying behavior as well. You could test it in an inconspicuous place. Or you could try spraying a blanket or sheet with it and keeping the sofa covered for awhile.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cathmarie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks all. I've seen several products on Amazon and on here and the other posts on here, none of which say safe for leather. He was neutered in August of last year.

Spraying a sheet or towel with a deterrent would work but what about the sides of the sofa?

He really is such a sweet old boy and doesn't understand why he has to go outside when I leave for work.

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't know if there are any leather safe products. You can get leather pieces at a craft store to try product out on.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Would it be possible to tape a treated towel/sheet to the side(s) of the couch where he tends to spray - or, even plastic sheeting? You could also safety pin the treated towels/sheets to the one you are putting over the couch. And, you can try adding a potpourri bowl (with a breathable lid to prevent him from getting into it) nearby filled with fresh orange peels, or cotton balls soaked in citrus oil - most cats don't like the scent.

Is it possible to confine him to a bathroom instead of making him go outside, since it seems he doesn't really like it? Perhaps, if you can find a location inside the house to confine him to that he doesn't mind, maybe he won't spray?

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have two dearly beloved leather couches, and haven't yet found anything like this. When my elderly (now departed) cat started having litter box issues, we bought several waterproof pet blankets to drape the couches with.

These are the ones we used, and they worked really well for peace of mind, and the cat didn't seem to mind them. We tried a fuzzier felt one with 'waterproof' backing on it first, thinking it would be comfier, but it leaked. So beware, and test anything you buy before trusting your couch to it!