Cat Depressed With Cone

HungryPandaCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat got spayed yesterday, and my vet said no cone was needed unless she's licking the wound a lot. She wouldn't stop licking it, and the stitches seems to have loosened a bit so I put the cone on. Ever since I put the cone on she's been so depressed. Its been three hours and she's just moping in a corner. I call her and she just ignores me.

Its heart breaking watching her like this T_T. Please tell me this is the getting use to the cone phase.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Our cat had to wear a cone for over three weeks when he had a neck wound that he wouldn't stop scratching. He's a very active cat and he seemed SO depressed when he first got it on. But he did get used to it and figured out to live with it. :agree: Good luck with your kitty. I hope she starts feeling better soon.

189511-41b79dca1494118bf502601a2a68b82e.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

HungryPandaCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I live in a hot and humid city so I don't think covering it up with a onesie would be a good idea.

I showed my vet a photo of the wound and she noticed a slight gap in the wound and told me to keep the cone on. I took the cone off to feed her and she was instantly back to her normal self. I was worried the entire first night she was wearing the cone. Kept waking up in the middle of the night to make sure she didn't get trapped and kill herself.

Today is 3rd day post op, second day with the cone of shame. After work I took it off to let her play a bit and eat. I didn't make her jump or anything, but after a short while of toy chasing I saw that there was a little discharge so I stopped playing. The vet said to keep activity minimal, so I didn't play with her the first day and she ended up with super zoomies, so I think having some controlled play time would be better.

On a good note, she seems to be getting used to the cone now. Still a little mopey at times, but she's learned to eat and drink with the cone on and even gave me a welcome home meow ^_^

HungryPandaCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
*Update*
She managed to rip out one of her stitches and it got infected so I took her to the emergency vet. They covered the incision with a loose bandage and prescribed some antibiotics and antiseptic cream.

The poor kitty was already quite upset having to wear the cone, now I have to feed her medicine so she's even more upset. After we come home from the vet, she sat in the corner unmoving for 20 minutes. This morning after I gave her the medicine, she crawled into her special hiding place under the bed and hasn't come out since.

I don't know if she's upset or in pain. Should I just leave her alone until she comes out? I'm worried she won't come out to drink water or go to the bathroom.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hopefully she will come out to eat, drink and use the bathroom while you are asleep. Are you done with her medicines for the day? If she does not need to be medicated then I would just let her hide for now. If you are worried about her eating, drinking and going to the bathroom you could set up a water and feeding station near where she is hiding. You could also add a litter box to that room away from the food and water. She may just be feeling overwhelmed from the vet visit and being given medicine. She has been through a lot in a short amount of time. I would not move her original food, water or litter but would add new ones closer to where she is hiding.

HungryPandaCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Its day 5 post op and the princess (her name is actually Teddy) seems to be adjusting to life with the cone. Her sulking periods are shorter and shorter now; I have been forgiven! :yess:

Unfortunately she still keeps wanting to lick her incision so I have to put the cone back on right after she eats, which means she can't groom herself. The cute thing is, my other cat (Yara) seems to have noticed and is helping out with Teddy's grooming. Normally she just grooms Teddy's head and back, but now she's doing the legs and paws too. I might reading too much into it but I think its cute.

Aafia Ijaz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I live in a hot and humid city so I don't think covering it up with a onesie would be a good idea.

I showed my vet a photo of the wound and she noticed a slight gap in the wound and told me to keep the cone on. I took the cone off to feed her and she was instantly back to her normal self. I was worried the entire first night she was wearing the cone. Kept waking up in the middle of the night to make sure she didn't get trapped and kill herself.

Today is 3rd day post op, second day with the cone of shame. After work I took it off to let her play a bit and eat. I didn't make her jump or anything, but after a short while of toy chasing I saw that there was a little discharge so I stopped playing. The vet said to keep activity minimal, so I didn't play with her the first day and she ended up with super zoomies, so I think having some controlled play time would be better.

On a good note, she seems to be getting used to the cone now. Still a little mopey at times, but she's learned to eat and drink with the cone on and even gave me a welcome home meow ^_^
How old was your cat at this time? And was she spayed?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
OP has not been around in about 3 years, so will probably not reply.