Cat dental stitches ?

vradzie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat had teeth removal of three teeth 13 days ago. The vet put in dissolvable stitches and just noticed two days ago they look grey and mushy ? Almost gauze like and weren’t there before like this and it’s not part of the gums. Is this how they heal? As well I will be calling the vet asap because today I noticed his breath smells horrible. He was on medication but since finished, eats only wet food for now post surgery.

Attachments

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've no experience with dissolvable stitches but it sounds like it could be the stitch you are seeing. As for the bad breath, it may well be the gums healing. Can you send the photo to your vet and ask him if its normal for the breath to be smelling as it is.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat had teeth removal of three teeth 13 days ago. The vet put in dissolvable stitches and just noticed two days ago they look grey and mushy ? Almost gauze like and weren’t there before like this and it’s not part of the gums. Is this how they heal? As well I will be calling the vet asap because today I noticed his breath smells horrible. He was on medication but since finished, eats only wet food for now post surgery.
What you are describing sounds like an infection.
I would take him to the Vet asap....for flushing, and antibiotics.
Good Luck...sent your way.

memom90

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You are most likely witnessing absorbable sutures, which occasionally move to the surface when the cat's body eliminates them.I can recall witnessing this with my own female cat, and just like you, the suture was absent the day prior.

Last edited by a moderator: