Cat dental health -best toothbrush

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As my cats age, I am worrying more about their dental health. Casper - who is the most skittish of the bunch - had FORLs and two teeth extracted. He is 6-7 and hard to "paste" with pet t.p.  I don't want a repeat of this and I am feeling a bit sheepish here now - I had gotten a bit lax with the others. I see build up and inflammation and it upsets me.

So I am back at it - using Biotene Veterinary gel. Ambushing them when they are asleep, mostly.

However - I am wondering now if perhaps I could get at least a couple of these guys used to teeth brushing? What are the opinions here about the best brushes to use?

It's less about the cost than the stress it puts on the animals.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When I first started brushing their teeth I bought a little baby's toothbrush. It's a cap that fits over your finger and has very soft bristles. However, I found it to be too big. The vet told me to use a piece of pantyhose material and just rub that over their gums and teeth for a few seconds. I find that method works best for me. I still have to ambush my kitties though to do it. :lol3:

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
l use this one:

lt came with a finger-brush that l've never used. But the toothbrush itself is so skinny that l don't have to open my cats' lips. l just slide it in and their lips stay pretty much closed, unless they try to eject the brush. Once this one's done, l'm going to buy the same one, my 3 have no problems with this one (yes, they share, YUCK!!).

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
l use this one:

lt came with a finger-brush that l've never used. But the toothbrush itself is so skinny that l don't have to open my cats' lips. l just slide it in and their lips stay pretty much closed, unless they try to eject the brush. Once this one's done, l'm going to buy the same one, my 3 have no problems with this one (yes, they share, YUCK!!).
Last time I ordered one that looked like this one, it ended up coming with a finger brush, which I did NOT want.  I've been looking for this kind ever since.  Have you ordered this lately?  (I admit, it was a different brand, but still  ) 

I've been thinking about just using gauze pads, which would be similar to the panty hose idea...since I don't wear panty hose

Last edited:

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine came with the finger brush too, l got mine at PetSmart. l don't use the finger brush on the cats, but it's good for the dog.

l'm sure gauze pads would work equally well if your cat doesn't mind them. l used q-tips before getting the brush, and they worked well, although the cats do tolerate the brush better.