Cat death

naaaaa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I found my cat dead when coming from work today. I am wondering what happened to him. I found him outside at the bottom of my stairs. He was in a sleeping postion as if he died in his sleep peacefully. But the thing that bugs me is that there is no way he would sleep there on the concrete. When I picked him up, a good amount of reddish/pink liquid was coming from his mouth. There was also no sign of trauma. Cardiac arrest ? Internal damage from a car hit? Family member told me he seems really affectionate this afternoon. Thanks

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So sorry about your furbaby.
I agree, it could be either, but it also could be a cat hating neighbor putting poison out. It might also be that he ate a mouse who had ingested D-con. Might consider an autopsy to determine cause if it will haunt you until you know what happened.

movinintime

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
OMG no! I am very sorry as this would put me in shock. Please know we are ALL here for you and I hope you can find out what occurred and why? This is too tragic and I pray for you and your kitty. MAY HE REST IN PEACE. He is safe now from anymore pain at Rainbow Bridge but this is too hard to take now I know. :(

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss. I lost one cat to what I am sure was cardiac arrest under the same circumstances and it is hard to reconcile that it was so sudden and unexpected.

If you would feel better ruling out any sort of external circumstance like bad neighbors (and maybe you are in an area where you don't suspect that at all) or rat poison ingested indirectly, then as for a necropsy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

naaaaa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for all the kind words. I think he was hit by a car trying to cross the road and didnt had the strengh to climb the stairs and settled at the bottom for his last breath. Kind of a last "I love you". Poison his highly improbable in my opinion, the death was too sudden.
I hop he didnt suffer too much In the end. I am not an overly emotional person, but I was holding my tears yesterday when I found him.

Thank you all.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have seen cats who were hit by a car found in the same way that you found your cat. To me, it fits if you think that is what happened. It is very hard to lose a pet.