Cat Cystitis

Barkles

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My older cat has been diagnosed with Cystitis. She's seen the vet, her urine has been tested. She was given an injection along with CystiCalm tablets which are nearly finished. I've bought Cystease as a back up. She seems to do well then has a relapse at night a few days later. Also she's a big girl and I usually clean her bottom but at the moment that's not working and she's in discomfort. The dosage of Cystease for her size is 2 capsules. Should I give her then both at the same time? I'm really struggling with this as I don't know what to do to help her. Can you help with some advice?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. When her urine was tested, what did they find? Crystals and/or sediment, blood, infection, etc? Also, many cats who suffer from cystitis have bladder inflammation, which may take an additional treatment above and beyond Cystease - just to get the inflammation under control. From there, Cystease is supposed to help reduce micro-organisms from adhering to the bladder lining in order to minimize the opportunity for inflammation and possible infection. Talk to your vet about an anti-inflammatory, as that may help to reduce her current level of discomfort.

As far as what I read of Cystease, it is to be administered twice daily, not all at once. That keeps a more uniform amount in her system over the course of 24 hours. If Cystease ultimately makes a difference for her, the dosage can be reduced and only given once a day. The capsules can be given whole, but are just as effective if they are opened and mixed with some food - which is a much easier way to administer them to her.

How long ago was your cat diagnosed with cystitis, and what was the basis for your vet's diagnosis? How many bouts has she had? A cat that age that was only more recently diagnosed with cystitis would suggest changes in her environment that are stressing her out. So, take a look at the changes that have gone on recently in and around your home. If there are things you can do to remove or lessen the impact of those changes, that would help her significantly. Cats love routine and those who are easily stressed can react more strongly to a loss of routine.

Additionally, cats who get more moisture in their diets (offering multiple water dishes in various locations, and canned food vs. dry food) typically pee more which means the urine doesn't stagnate in the bladder which is one of the causes of bladder wall irritation.

Take a look at this TCS article to see if you can find some helpful information/tips about cystitis and steps you might be able to take to better care for a cat with cystitis.
Feline Idiopathic Cystitis – How To Improve Your Cat’s Quality Of Life – TheCatSite Articles

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Barkles

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there, her urine was tested on Wednesday 15th September. The vet phoned me the following day and said her urine was clear therefore a diagnosis of Cystitis was given. Apparently her kidney function was okay as well. My cat is a rescue, age unknown. I have had her 2 years and her history is unknown as well. I was told at the time she was 6 but I think she could be nearer 10 now. She is overweight and was overweight when I got her. I have tried to get her weight down but she’s an indoor cat and lazy. She looks like a Norwegian Forest cross. This is the first bout of cystitis that she has had as far as I’m aware. I can’t think of anything out of the ordinary that has sparked this off. I have a younger cat, also a rescue, that I have had for 4 years. She is 5 years old. They don’t get on but there is no aggravation between them. My younger cat keeps out of her way. I’ve started adding water to her wet food and have stopped the dried although she doesn’t get that much. In place of the dried I am going to give her a small 50g sachet of wet before bed. She gets 2 x 85g of wet during the day. Many thanks for your information