Cat cyst

mycatisnamedruby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! This is my cat ruby and she's had a swollen lip for almost a month now. I have attatched two photos- the puss filled one was when it first appeared and the one that looks more reddish was taken this morning. She has been having problems with constantly throwing up and soft stools so me and the vet have been focusing on that- doing x rays, an ultrasound, changing food (still no luck) and pushing this lip thing to the side since it seems to just cause itchiness. Do you think this has any correlation with her digestive issues history? Should I bring her into the vet specifically for this? I really cannot afford to spend more money so I have been waiting the lip thing out! (She got this same lip thing a few months back but it cleared up with no vet).

Attachments

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
This looks like it could be a rodent ulcer, aka eosinophilic granuloma complex. It generally won't go away on its own, as it's essentially caused by an allergic reaction. Was there anything that changed between the first ulcer dissapearing, and the new one appearing?

Alternatively, it could just be a cyst, as you said. Some more information would be helpful. Has she had any diet changes? Any chance she could've hurt her lip?

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

mycatisnamedruby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your response! She was on Royal canin for kittens since that's what she was given before I adopted her. When she developed the first ulcer she was on royal canin. She then developed a regurgitation problem with the dry food and my vet decided we should switch diets. 2/28 is when i began the switch to American journey. That did not work out and I wasn't able to complete a full transition- she threw up one night multiple times in a row. After some tests it was shown that her intestines were extremely inflamed. Then she was put on w/d prescription food and then z/d. I'm pretty sure she developed this ulcer during the first week of the w/d but hasnt cleared up with the change to z/d! Sorry this is a lot we've just gone threw a lot!

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
So the ulcer disappeared while you were trying to transition her onto American Journey? Can you check if there are ingredients (especially fillers, but also proteins) that the RC, w/d, and z/d have in common that the American Journey doesn't have?

mycatisnamedruby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This looks like it could be a rodent ulcer, aka eosinophilic granuloma complex. It generally won't go away on its own, as it's essentially caused by an allergic reaction. Was there anything that changed between the first ulcer dissapearing, and the new one appearing?

Alternatively, it could just be a cyst, as you said. Some more information would be helpful. Has she had any diet changes? Any chance she could've hurt her lip?
A
So the ulcer disappeared while you were trying to transition her onto American Journey? Can you check if there are ingredients (especially fillers, but also proteins) that the RC, w/d, and z/d have in common that the American Journey doesn't have?
Oops no sorry! That cleared up after a week while still on royal canin.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I see! Doesn't seem likely to be a rodent ulcer, then, and it does look a bit mildly inflamed for it. Does she eat out of plastic or metallic bowls? Does it seem to bother her?

mycatisnamedruby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh, I see! Doesn't seem likely to be a rodent ulcer, then, and it does look a bit mildly inflamed for it. Does she eat out of plastic or metallic bowls? Does it seem to bother her?
She eats out of a ceramic bowl! She itches herself pretty often but that's about it. (never to the point of leaving marks or losing fur)

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
In the first image, it looks like cat acne more than anything, having taken a proper look at it (my mistake, only looked at the second before!). It could, theoretically, be acne caused by bacteria. Could you try switching to something stainless steel, and see if it helps?

mycatisnamedruby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
In the first image, it looks like cat acne more than anything, having taken a proper look at it (my mistake, only looked at the second before!). It could, theoretically, be acne caused by bacteria. Could you try switching to something stainless steel, and see if it helps?
Sounds like a plan. Thank you so much!