Cat cycles and pregnancy

dawnt91

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone - I posted a question here about three weeks ago about my unspayed (unfortunately) female cat who was in heat and escaped for 2 hours. I'm trying to figure out if she's pregnant. It's been three weeks and she hasn't gone back into heat, but I don't know how long her cycles usually are. I've been looking at her nipples, but again, I don't know what they looked like before. Right now they are a bit raised and pinker than the rest of her body, but not dark pink. They're hard to see with all that fur! Is there anything else I can look for? Physical or behavior changes? How much time is typically between heat cycles? I can't afford to take her to the vet right now since my husband just finally got a job after a suprise unemployment. (It's hard to justify the vet to him when he's trying to make the mortgage payment.) Anyway, I'm just worried. I don't want to contribute to the over population of pets, and I sure have enough of my own right now. Be sure that she will be spayed at the earliest possible time! I'm worried...

Dawn

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Heat cycles usually go in 3 to 4 week intervals. It depends on the cat. There are no signs other than the pink nipples, and they start to enlarge. Of course it helps if you know what they looked like before hand. I hate to sound cocky, but the only way to say this is that it is going to cost money either way. If you take her in to spay her and she is pregnant, they will just abort the babies and charge you more and if you take her in to find out, they will charge you for the visit and a possible x ray. Anyway you look at it, it is a difficult decision and it costs money to take care of these guys.