Cat cries at bedroom door

BlueRaccoon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 10 month old kitten just started crying at the door when we go to sleep. Why is he doing this? My other male cat used to do this all the time. I assumed it was because he was sad because he never leaves my side during the day. However, my kitten is pretty independent. What is causing this?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, he doesn't understand why you are shutting him out. My cats have adjusted their schedule so they sleep all night on our bed. Is he Neutered? That is the age when the hormones start to really kick in and make him restless. If you don't want him in there, it will eventually stop, you have to totally ignore him. But cat's are pretty stubborn! He loves you and wants to be with you, so it is hard for him to understand why you are shutting him out, cats hate a shut door.....

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Although they are not pack animals like dogs, they absolutely crave laying next to a warm body. You might try a heated bed, or a heated pad to put under a blanket, my cats are in their heated beds a lot, you might find that will satisfy him.

Lisannez

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We had a problem with our Ragdoll cat doing this. We used to have no problem with her in the room at night, but as she got older she did this thing where for whatever reason she would climb all over me all night, and I would get zero sleep. She would leave my fiance be. We tried taking her off the bed and saying, no but nothing working. So we shut her out of the bedroom. It took about two weeks, and we had to really listen to the crying (it was hard) but after that we are now able to leave our door open and she rarely comes in but if she does she knows she sleeps in her cat bed not on ours. We do not let her on our bed at all, and you have to be very consistent. If she's crying don't respond at all, don't yell don't say a word just act like you do not hear her. Get some strong ear plugs. She will get the point eventually. I know it sounds mean, but cats are creatures of habit and all we have to do is help them learn a new habit.