Cat crack but for home-made? (make it taste better)

squirrelfriend

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey. I was wondering, what is an ingredient known to make cat food appealing?
Right now we're doing home-made food and my cat often goes through periods of only wanting canned and refusing home-made and I would like to stop feeding canned altogether because home-made is obviously healthier.

So I'm wondering, what can I add to it to make it more appealing and tastier? Right now my plan is to buy a few raw catfish or tilapia and boil that, then add the broth to the homemade for more flavor in separate batches for picky days, but I would like more suggestions.
Not looking for advice like adding more liver, as I'm using a premix.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

squirrelfriend

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If I sprinkle a little catnip on foods my cats aren't crazy about they'll eat it. It's my secret weapon, lol.
Really? My cat doesn't eat catnip! She does like to roll in it though..

squirrelfriend

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You might be surprised. Try it just to see if it works. :)
Oh, no. She doesn't eat it, and is barely interested. I'm looking for advice on foods/ingredients I can use for cooking home made food, like fish or perhaps animal blood.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Why not just add some crushed up freeze dried meat treats to the food? That's healthy. Nutritional yeast or brewer's yeast supposedly have the same effect on cats as animal digest / FortiFlora. Small pieces of plain cooked meat, or fish on occasion, can be used as toppers. Homemade bone broth can be added.

squirrelfriend

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Why not just add some crushed up freeze dried meat treats to the food? That's healthy. Nutritional yeast or brewer's yeast supposedly have the same effect on cats as animal digest / FortiFlora. Small pieces of plain cooked meat, or fish on occasion, can be used as toppers. Homemade bone broth can be added.
Thank you! I will try those!

maeganj

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I second the fortiflora. Also try bonita flakes/dried fish flakes as a sprinkle on topper.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
You can also mix the homemade with the canned food she likes.

squirrelfriend

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all, thanks for the responses, but I am not looking for toppers or mix-ins. I don't want to feed canned anymore either thus asking.
I'm looking for a biologically appropriate thing I can add in batches of cat food themselves, like fish or animal blood; for example.
In a few days we are going to the market in town, so I am picking up catfish and maybe tilapia to boil down and add that broth to the batch to see if it helps.

In the meantime, what are the thoughts on tuna oil?

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Keep in mind that anything you add to affect taste will affect the percentages of meat, organs and bone so be careful and be sure you're keeping a balanced recipe.

squirrelfriend

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Keep in mind that anything you add to affect taste will affect the percentages of meat, organs and bone so be careful and be sure you're keeping a balanced recipe.
Yes, I'm using a premix and email the company about new additions I make to my batches to ensure it's okay.

danaNM

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Nutritional yeast!
It is my go-to whenever my cat is being weird about his food. It truly is like kitty-crack. And my understanding is that it is very safe and supplies them with some extra B vitamins.