Cat covering up food

droidus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've noticed that my cats will cover up their food sometimes with my clothes. Has anyone else experienced this? What does it mean?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Some cats will cover their food, just like they do their litterbox 'deposits' with litter - to hid their scent from others. It's a natural instinct in some, and a learned behavior in others. So, if any or all of your cats are/were once outside, this could explain the behavior. Also, if they are currently indoor/outdoor cats, that can reinforce the behavior when they go outside often and cover up 'stuff' out there. But, where is their food - in a laundry room? Is that why they are using your clothing? Or, are they 'traversing' all over the house to get to your clothing? My guess is the former, so you might want to consider placing your clothing in a laundry container with a lid.

Also, I don't know your feeding routine, or what they are eating, but if they can't finish it all in one sitting, you might consider changing up the feeding approach so that they don't have enough left over to need to hide.

I am sure other members will come along soon and offer their ideas too!!

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Of our two cats only Olive covers up her food. She was an outdoor abandoned kitty a few years ago and I think the instinct is strong. She will cover her food with toys, food mats or whatever is around. She does t more often if she hates the food, but sometimes she does it with the open bowl. Keeping items and clothes away helps, but nothing really curbs her behavior.

And weirdly she only does her own food, not anyone else’s.

AF559C53-96C9-4837-B564-75A1355B8AB5.jpeg

94FEB3D4-DC8A-4407-A61A-0D85BC8CFE6D.jpeg

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Jamie will also scratch around any food that he does not like or that is not completely eaten. He also dislikes the fact that the dog uses pee pads in the house and will go over and roll them up and shove them in the corner if they are soiled, or will drag them over the food that he does not like.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

droidus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The food is located in my bedroom, and they are indoor cats. I've thought the same thing, about one of them not liking their food, causing them to do this.

Siamic

Avid Siamese Lover
Young Cat
Purraise
Almost every cat at the rescue will perform this behavior after eating canned food, as they will try to save the canned food for later. It is entirely too funny because they try to bury it with their cover, toys, or anything else they find. No real solution other than picking up the food when they are done eating.