Cat coughing

Lilycup

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Please help.. my 5 yr old babygirl is coughing. She eats, hydrates, sleeps normal, plays, loves, but she's been coughing quite a bit lately. After a coughing spell, I can sometimes hear congestion in her purrs. (Like how we sound when we have bronchitis and chest congestion). Vet just doesnt care.. just throwing "ideas" I dont know how to help.. it breaks my heart everytime I hear and/or see her go into a fit. I'm trying to start her on Lysine, she wont eat the wet food with it in it.. smart cookie. I'm doing that because someone said could be herpes virus. I'm going to get an air purifier, for our bedroom, tomorrow. This has been going on off and on for a few years. But sometimes it just stops for awhile. When she does spit something up, which is hardly ever, it is just foamy phlegm. Any and all suggestions appreciated!! Wishing all your fur babies good health! P.s. Lily thanks you :)

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Is this at all seasonal, or related to anything that is done in your house periodically? This is probably not what is causing your cat to cough, but I did find that if I cleaned anything with an ammonia based cleaner that one cat, Kate, would start the coughing. No ammonia and it stopped forever.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lilycup

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is this at all seasonal, or related to anything that is done in your house periodically? This is probably not what is causing your cat to cough, but I did find that if I cleaned anything with an ammonia based cleaner that one cat, Kate, would start the coughing. No ammonia and it stopped forever.
Not that I have noticed.. but thank you for your out of the box response. I NEVER would have thought of that!! I use all Lysol cleaners and AWESOME. I will investigate! Lily n I truly appreciate you responding.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lysol is known to be toxic to cats if ingested.

Vet just doesnt care.. just throwing "ideas"

Find a new vet who will take your concerns seriously and get to the bottom of any issue your cat has.

Occasional coughing isn't usually anything serious but could indicate bronchitis or asthma or other respiratory illness. Foamy vomit is likely just bile from an empty or upset tummy. Some cats throw up bile if they go too long between meals.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lilycup

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Lysol is known to be toxic to cats if ingested.

Find a new vet who will take your concerns seriously and get to the bottom of any issue your cat has.

Occasional coughing isn't usually anything serious but could indicate bronchitis or asthma or other respiratory illness. Foamy vomit is likely just bile from an empty or upset tummy. Some cats throw up bile if they go too long between meals.
I cant keep spending hundreds for vet appts.. I know that may sound not okay.. but I literally stay in all the time and have used money for her. She eats very well.. shes actually overweight, I have a hard time saying no to her, could be part of the problem. I just ordered Wapiti Labs Chest formula respiratory function cat supplement for her.. also found a way to get her lysine. Thank you so much for your response!! I will post an update.. soon! If it helps, may help others as well. I researched it, many great reviews.