Cat coughing/wheezing

Paris Pluto

Cat Daddy
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

I know I post alot of threads for help because you guys are the only people I can turn to besides the vet.

Recently, my cat had been coughing/wheezing/dry reaching for two days with white foam only coming up and I managed to capture some footage of it which I will include.

I took her to the vet who recommend x-rays but I couldn't afford it so she decided to treat her 'symptomatically'. She gave her a Dexafort steroid injection and antibiotics for 10 days.

The vet felt around her body and checked her breathing and gut and everything was good. She has also been eating, drinking and toileting well too.

Has anyone experienced this with their cats? The vet said it could be allergies or asthma. The injection is meant to last 5 days and if the cough comes back, I'll have to take her in for x-rays.

I emailed the vet the same videos and her response was:

"Thank you for sending through the videos.
It does appear to be coughing in these videos, with the last bit likely when she has coughed something up and then is swallowing it.
Please monitor coughing while on the medications and let us know if there is no improvement."

Right now, the cough has completely gone and she is eating alot from the steroids. Would love your opinion thanks again!

Jiggy 1
Jiggy 2

Last edited:

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
You can try putting your cat inside the bathroom, open the hot faucet/shower and let it steam inside.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This sounds like asthma to me, but I'm not an expert on it because I've never had a cat with asthma. You might try looking at YouTube for cats with asthma and see if it looks that same as what is happening to your cat. I do know that others have reports that swallowing thing after the coughing with an asthma "attack".

There are medications for cats with asthma, so if this is what it turns out to be, try not to worry too much. Hopefully it's a mild case.