Cat Coughing and Sneezing

Jdamon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone! I posted about this before, but im still a little worried. My almost 4 month old kitten has been coughing and sneezing, mainly happening at night for a little more than a week now. I asked my vet about it and she told me it wasnt anything to worry about because it isnt happening very often and he has no other symptoms. But im really worried! She said he had no fluid in his lungs, heart sounded great, and he just got every dewormer possible. He had a slight increase in temperature when they took it but they told me it could just be from him being excited, which he was! Is there anything i can do to help his cough? Im giving him one 500mg L-Lysine treat a day which the vet said would help, but i feel so bad! The package said i can give him two, so i could up his dosage. Hes also started snoring and i can hear his nose whistle at night, which the vet said wasnt a big deal either. Should i just quit worrying? Maybe give him some benadryl and see if it might be an allergy??

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
From a quick google search, it seems that cats can be given Benadryl. BUT, you need to ask your vet first, to make sure that it is actually safe, and to figure out what dosage he would need. But don’t give him any medication without asking your vet first.

Since your vet says that it’s nothing to worry about, then it can’t be anything serious. But you can always get a second opinion, if it makes you feel better. Did your vet say what she thinks is causing his symptoms? Has he received his FVRCP vaccine yet?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I went back and read your previous thread and see that the vet thinks your kitten may have herpes. The symptoms he has do seem to indicate that might the issue, and the vet not wanting to treat it - other than with lysine - would suggest to me that she thinks he will get over it on his own. However, a fever can mean that he has moved onto a secondary infection - which happens many times when a flare up of herpes occurs. His added symptoms with the snoring and nose whistle would make me want to notify the vet and ask if he should be re-checked for a possible secondary infection which would need to be treated with antibiotics.

Check with the vet about the elevation in symptoms and if she still doesn't think he needs to be treated, I would be asking why. Also, if you are comfortable with doing so, you might want to check his temp and see if it has increased since it was checked at the vets. A child's rectal thermometer can be used - and, there are instructions on the internet about how to do it. I will be more than happy to find those for you, if you do consider checking his temp on your own. Either way, call the vet and ask about his new symptoms!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jdamon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! I went back and read your previous thread and see that the vet thinks your kitten may have herpes. The symptoms he has do seem to indicate that might the issue, and the vet not wanting to treat it - other than with lysine - would suggest to me that she thinks he will get over it on his own. However, a fever can mean that he has moved onto a secondary infection - which happens many times when a flare up of herpes occurs. His added symptoms with the snoring and nose whistle would make me want to notify the vet and ask if he should be re-checked for a possible secondary infection which would need to be treated with antibiotics.

Check with the vet about the elevation in symptoms and if she still doesn't think he needs to be treated, I would be asking why. Also, if you are comfortable with doing so, you might want to check his temp and see if it has increased since it was checked at the vets. A child's rectal thermometer can be used - and, there are instructions on the internet about how to do it. I will be more than happy to find those for you, if you do consider checking his temp on your own. Either way, call the vet and ask about his new symptoms!
Yeah! She told me it could be herpes, but now im not convinced. After doing some research on my own it just didnt really add up to me. When i saw my vet last, i told her about the snoring and nose whistle so she checked his airway and it was clear, so she said he may just snore! If you read any of my other threads, when we first picked him up he was really sick and we almost lost him. So now im super paranoid about everything! He got a pot belly after eating a whole can of food, and i freaked myself out about that too, so we'll see 😉

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jdamon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
From a quick google search, it seems that cats can be given Benadryl. BUT, you need to ask your vet first, to make sure that it is actually safe, and to figure out what dosage he would need. But don’t give him any medication without asking your vet first.

Since your vet says that it’s nothing to worry about, then it can’t be anything serious. But you can always get a second opinion, if it makes you feel better. Did your vet say what she thinks is causing his symptoms? Has he received his FVRCP vaccine yet?
Since his mom was feral, our vet thinks he may have herpes. She told us 2 of her own cats have it and its no big deal. He got th3 FVRCP vaccine last friday! She checked him up and down and said there wasnt any serious indication. His lungs were filling up normal, heart rate was fine, airways were clear, no eye discharge, a wet nose, energy level and appetite good! So i guess there really isnt a need to worry, i just feel so bad cause when he coughs it sounds like it hurts!!!

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He also could have allergies. I’m fairly certain my cat is allergic to ragweed, whenever we have a high pollen day he starts sneezing and it gets much worse when it’s windy.