Cat coughing after purring

Jesszoefranklin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! We recently adopts a 3 year old Bombay cat, his origins are unknown and he was only at the shelter for a few weeks. He has a very unique purr and we asked the shelter and he had any health issues, Theh said no. One day we were petting him and he started coughing . It then happened another time after that ONLY brought on whole purring. He runs around with our kitten a lot and always seems totally fine . He literally has only coughed right after purring.
we brought him to the vet right away and Theh said itcould be a URI so he wasput on medicine. He got better and had a lot of energy but we were just petting him and he started coughing. Note it is not every time he purrs only randomly... he also sleeps with his tongue out sometimes ....and drools here and there
eats fine and drinks plenty of water. We are going to bring him back to the vet but he has yet to call me back to schedule an appointment and I am very nervous

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know what this could be. But I would get chest x-rays and also ask for a dental exam with oral x-rays (for the tongue out and drooling.) Or at least a visual exam of his teeth if you cannot afford the full dental exam.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That's...very unusual. Let's do this...before you take him back to the vet, try getting a video of him being patted, purring, and then coughing. A picture being worth 1000 words, a video might just be an entire encyclopedia for your vet. And dollars to donuts, he won't cough at the vet's, purr as he might. They never do. It's like your car will NEVER make that funny noise at the mechanic's shop!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jesszoefranklin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I agree! We sent him a video actually because we finally got the phone out in time. The vet said we would do testing for asthma soonest I can get him in is next week so until then we have an air purifier going , and have been refraining from petting him bc he starts purring and coughing.

Jesszoefranklin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't know what this could be. But I would get chest x-rays and also ask for a dental exam with oral x-rays (for the tongue out and drooling.) Or at least a visual exam of his teeth if you cannot afford the full dental exam.
Yes thank you we scheduled an X-ray and bloodwork for next week vet thinks it’s asthma. I’m praying it isn’t but hopefully we can get some answers and Franklin some relief!

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat Mogi (14 years old) has spells of sneezing after a session of excited purring. She hasn't done it recently but I've no doubt she'll start doing it again sometime. I always assumed it was a result of drooling too much and never mentioned it to the vet. I'm interested in what - if anything - your vet finds out. I only hope it's nothing serious. Good luck.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My 10 year old girl will cough/gag a little bit when she is purring while she's snuggling with me. It's not a huge issue or a big cough, but I always think there's just so much saliva that causes it. She does have asthma, but it's controlled at the moment.

Jesszoefranklin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 10 year old girl will cough/gag a little bit when she is purring while she's snuggling with me. It's not a huge issue or a big cough, but I always think there's just so much saliva that causes it. She does have asthma, but it's controlled at the moment.
Yes the vet thinks it’s asthma but like I said it’s only after purring which is bizarre to me . He does drool quite a bit..

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The nice thing is, should it be asthma, that is can usually be pretty much controlled! I know he'll be happy to get back to being doted on!

Jesszoefranklin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update: the vet did blood work and PCR tests for infectious disease. He said blood work came back PERFECT and typically with asthma there is an increase in white blood cells which was not present. The PCR tests will be done by Monday and if nothing is found onto doing X-rays. The mystery continues! Franklin is playing as normal and eating so for that I am greatful

Jesszoefranklin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat Mogi (14 years old) has spells of sneezing after a session of excited purring. She hasn't done it recently but I've no doubt she'll start doing it again sometime. I always assumed it was a result of drooling too much and never mentioned it to the vet. I'm interested in what - if anything - your vet finds out. I only hope it's nothing serious. Good luck.
Yes will definitely keep updating this thread as it seems the vet is perplexed by our boy Franklin. Hopefully the tests give us some answere

Jesszoefranklin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! We recently adopts a 3 year old Bombay cat, his origins are unknown and he was only at the shelter for a few weeks. He has a very unique purr and we asked the shelter and he had any health issues, Theh said no. One day we were petting him and he started coughing . It then happened another time after that ONLY brought on whole purring. He runs around with our kitten a lot and always seems totally fine . He literally has only coughed right after purring.
we brought him to the vet right away and Theh said itcould be a URI so he wasput on medicine. He got better and had a lot of energy but we were just petting him and he started coughing. Note it is not every time he purrs only randomly... he also sleeps with his tongue out sometimes ....and drools here and there
eats fine and drinks plenty of water. We are going to bring him back to the vet but he has yet to call me back to schedule an appointment and I am very nervous
uodate: 2/22
We finally got franklins blood work and PCR results back. The vet said he does not think it is asthma as his white blood cell count was very normal. He said his blood work was actually exceptional. Now the PCR test, he said Franklin has herpes virus. I am upset and do not know how to help him, the vet suggested lysine which we just started today and also a new medicine on the market. I told him I want to try the vitamin approach first as I do not see much research on this medication? So we are going to try lysine for abojt a week or two and go from there.
thanks for all of your responses

cooneya98

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! Did the cough ever stop? My cat’s purr causes her to cough. Wondering what the medication you used was

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
OP has not been back in almost two years, so you may not get a response.