Cat cough?

noelleandhercat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m not sure if this is a cough or sneeze. I searched a little bit and found out it could be asthma, this is the third time she’s done this in the past 6 months. Is it normal or something to be worried about? It won’t let me post a video but she stands like this for a good minute and coughs what sounds like a raspy cough almost. Again, it’s happened 3 times within 6 months.

Attachments

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just upload videos to Youtube and then link them to TCS.

If it's asthma, then yes it is something to be worried about. A trip to the vet is needed to confirm a diagnosis and start the cat on treatment. Bronchitis and allergies can also cause coughing. The vet will be able to determine what your cat has.

Crouching low with an outstretched neck is typical of asthma in cats. A good web site with info is Feline Asthma with Fritz the Brave - your comprehensive resource since 2001

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It could be hairballs, you might get some treats with hairball treatment in them, a heart condition will cause them to cough too, have her checked out the next time you are in with an xray. 3 times in 6 months is not really a lot with asthma, she would be doing it much more frequently. Check her breathing to see if she is breathing to fast, the normal for cats is 16 to 30 breaths per minute. I have a cat with scarred lungs from having distemper when he was a kitten and he breathes VERY fast, but is normal in every other way.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

noelleandhercat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It could be hairballs, you might get some treats with hairball treatment in them, a heart condition will cause them to cough too, have her checked out the next time you are in with an xray. 3 times in 6 months is not really a lot with asthma, she would be doing it much more frequently. Check her breathing to see if she is breathing to fast, the normal for cats is 16 to 30 breaths per minute. I have a cat with scarred lungs from having distemper when he was a kitten and he breathes VERY fast, but is normal in every other way.
Thanks for this. This definitely eased me. Yeah, I checked her breathing and it’s normal. I was thinking maybe it’s a reaction to a cleaning chemical possibly? I worry a lot because she was a stray when I got her so I just don’t want there to be all these underlying health conditions I’m unaware of! I took her to the vet a couple weeks ago for something else and I forgot to mention this because the time before it happened so long ago, but the vet said she looked pretty healthy overall so fingers crossed. This is a very long response, sorry! And thanks again, wishing your kitty the best.