Cat "Cooing" & Meowing at Night

willbrazill

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two 1 year old male cats (brothers). One of them will not stop meowing and "cooing" loudly at 4am every morning. I haven't had a decent night's sleep in the last year because of it. I live in a 1 bedroom apartment. The other is completely silent and sleeps through the night. Help?!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You will have to find out why.....is he hungry? Maybe leave out a small amount of kibble for him to eat during the night. Is he used to getting up at that time for some reason? Keep him up a little later the night before, play hard with him with a cat wand or some toy. Hunger and routine are the two main reasons for cats waking too early. Is there something waking him up at that time? I can almost guarantee he will adjust and sleep through the night as he gets older, but unfortunately, that won't be until he is at least two. He is still technically a kitten. Maybe you will have to shut him out of your room for a few nights when he wakes early and see how that goes. He obviously has a different time schedule/temperament than his brother. I would first start with the food. Then with a firm NO, put him off the bed, then progress to shutting him out if that doesn't work. I'm sorry you are having this problem, I still get up at 4 AM naturally, since when I was a nurse and had to be at work at 5. My three cats are ALL up now at that time, right in my face, wanting to be fed.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Apartments and young cats are a non uncommon difficulty. The real wonder is that your second cat doesn't get up and chase the other around with all the racket. I'm sorry that I don't have any great suggestions beyond what di and bob di and bob mentioned. Age will take care of this; I'm not sure what else will.

Certainly don't ever get up and do a 4 am feeding or play session, which would reinforce the behavior. Doesn't sound like thats an issue, but I just mention it as something to be careful of.