Cat continues to have spasms even after the fluticasone

icetbr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I'm puffing my cat fluticasone/salmeterol 25mcg+250mcg 3x a day, as instructed by my veterinarian. She said I could lower the dose gradually, up to 1 time every 2 days, if the symptoms were to diminish. However, my cat continue to have many asthma spasms.

It likely has reduced a lot, but I would like to know what is normal or if I should try some different medication or dosage.

My cat has had spasms right after the puff, minutes after, hours after. There is no correlation with the puffing itself. Each time, I shake the bottle about 10s, hold it firmly but gently over his nose for 20-30s.

Also, the spasms can trigger "on demand". I just pat him on his back and immediately he starts to cough.

The veterinarian has analyzed his chest x-rays and checked some blood tests to rule out some other diseases. Under a daily prednisone/prednisolone (don't remember which) pill, he is "mostly" fine. With the a shot of a broad spectrum antibiotic Tribissen* (Trimethoprim 80mg / Sulfadiazine 400mg), the veterinarian said it should lasts about 15 days. He went on without spasms for something ranging from 30 to 75 days (we gave him 3 shots already). It might have some relation to the time of year, not sure.

This cat has previously been treated for esporotricosis over 45 days or something.

Anyone had similar experiences?

Thanks.

* I only know our country's version of this medication. It was prescribed by a different veterinarian as a "quick fix".
Tribrissen Injetável 15 Ml Virbac | Agroline

BlackCatOp

Black Cats Rule!
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat is receiving fluticasone only thru an inhaler (1 puff of 250mcg once per day.) I allow him to take 7-10 breaths (there's a flap on the inhaler to allow for counting). He has more chronic rhinosinusitis than traditional asthma but will still cough prior to being well controlled with the inhaler.

If your kitty had been well controlled with oral steroids then the inhaled steriod should work. Was there a transition period (ie an overlap) in oral and inhaled meds? How long have you been doing the inhaler?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

icetbr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, I used the inhaler + the steroids together. But I gave him 10 days of oral medication, and it took about 30 days to get my cat used to the inhaler. I can't vouch for the quality of the puffs during this period. I started with holding away from his face, the close for a few seconds.

Kurisunium

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, I'm puffing my cat fluticasone/salmeterol 25mcg+250mcg 3x a day, as instructed by my veterinarian. She said I could lower the dose gradually, up to 1 time every 2 days, if the symptoms were to diminish. However, my cat continue to have many asthma spasms.

It likely has reduced a lot, but I would like to know what is normal or if I should try some different medication or dosage.

My cat has had spasms right after the puff, minutes after, hours after. There is no correlation with the puffing itself. Each time, I shake the bottle about 10s, hold it firmly but gently over his nose for 20-30s.

Also, the spasms can trigger "on demand". I just pat him on his back and immediately he starts to cough.

The veterinarian has analyzed his chest x-rays and checked some blood tests to rule out some other diseases. Under a daily prednisone/prednisolone (don't remember which) pill, he is "mostly" fine. With the a shot of a broad spectrum antibiotic Tribissen* (Trimethoprim 80mg / Sulfadiazine 400mg), the veterinarian said it should lasts about 15 days. He went on without spasms for something ranging from 30 to 75 days (we gave him 3 shots already). It might have some relation to the time of year, not sure.

This cat has previously been treated for esporotricosis over 45 days or something.

Anyone had similar experiences?

Thanks.

* I only know our country's version of this medication. It was prescribed by a different veterinarian as a "quick fix".
Tribrissen Injetável 15 Ml Virbac | Agroline
Like tickling, it starts out a bit pleasant but rapidly becomes painful or distressing to the cat.

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your current inhaler is fine. For a moment, I thought you were dispensing the medication into the air and hoping the cat would inhale it. My mistake!