Cat constipated, showing no other symptoms

tml1991

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My 4 year old FIV+ cat. Lee-Lee, has been constipated the last two days, but has not shown any other symptoms at all. Lee-Lee's appetite is still good, its best in a long time in fact, following the removal of several bad teeth last month, his energy level too is the best it has been in a long time as well. Lee-Lee's last bowel movement was two nights ago. It was a medium/dark brown, a similar shade to the "cat articles, forums, what's new, etc" text on this site. It looked to have a small bit of mucus on it, I think, but no blood, and he didn't seem to strain passing it. I can't figure out what could be going on. He's got this lone symptom, but aside from it and his fast breathing I mentioned in past posts, he seems to be acting his best in a long time. Has anyone else here ever experienced anything like this with their cat?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm guessing he's always pooped at least once a day? If so, then perhaps you can give him a little bit of butter or oil in his food to see if that helps. Just a tad. Sometimes that will help. Or an egg yolk (none of the whites) beaten with a little water and added to some wet food. Or a little bit of canned plain pumpkin (1 teaspoon per meal) mixed into his food. Or if you have it, a tiny bit of Miralax (1/8th teas) dissolved in a little bit of water and added to his food. Any of these things should help. And plenty of water.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tml1991

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm guessing he's always pooped at least once a day? If so, then perhaps you can give him a little bit of butter or oil in his food to see if that helps. Just a tad. Sometimes that will help. Or an egg yolk (none of the whites) beaten with a little water and added to some wet food. Or a little bit of canned plain pumpkin (1 teaspoon per meal) mixed into his food. Or if you have it, a tiny bit of Miralax (1/8th teas) dissolved in a little bit of water and added to his food. Any of these things should help. And plenty of water.
He typically has gone once a day. I will add he recently switched from dry food to wet canned food. Both types of food are designated to help cats who have urinary issues. He began this kind of diet early this year when he had urinary crystals.

tml1991

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He just went, without any noticeable pain. Does this movement look concerning or not?

Attachments

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Looks like he has a bit of an upset tummy from the new food. As long as he continues to have regular bowel movements without any blood and the loose stool clears up after a few days I wouldn't be too concerned.

tml1991

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Looks like he has a bit of an upset tummy from the new food. As long as he continues to have regular bowel movements without any blood and the loose stool clears up after a few days I wouldn't be too concerned.
I feel a lot more relaxed now. As stated in the opening post, his other behavior is the best it's been in a long time. I do notice this began when he started the new food. He likes said food though and it's good for his condition. I just hope it isn't having too many GI effects on him.

crystal dawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Most cats get an upset stomach with food changes. As long as he's acting normally otherwise and the lose stools dont get worse and sort themselves out in a couple of days he should be just fine. Though if you have a vet who's office doesn't. Ind phone calls then it wont hurt to call and discuss it if that'll help you have more peace of mind.

Also with my cats they tend to have a bit of a lose stool after being constipated for a day or two. It normally clears up in a day.