Cat constantly grooms herself?

kef33890

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat is constantly grooming herself. Especially after I pet her. Is this a sign of stress? To me it seems like very odd behavior. I've never had a cat groom herself constantly like this before.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There are so many variables about grooming to consider. Is this a new behavior, or something she has always done? Does it matter where you pet her to evoke a grooming session? Hind quarters can be more sensitive in some cats, more so than their heads/necks.
Over grooming the hind quarters can also be a sign of flea activity.

Some cats are 'bigger' groomers than others. If she is not creating bald spots, it may be nothing at all. Until/unless something else that might appear troublesome presents itself, you may just have to view her as a 'super groomer'.

We always say our cat grooms after we touch her to 'get our cooties off of her'. She is 18+ yo and has always been this way. It's not even that she doesn't like to be petted, she just feels the needs to groom either when we are petting her or immediately after.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kef33890

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It always happens when I pet her. I have only had her a week maybe. So as far as I know, she has always groomed herself like this. I haven't noticed where I pet her to cause a grooming session. I guess anywhere causes her to do it. Nope, no bald spots. Thank you!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Then, I wouldn't entirely rule out stress just yet, since you've only had her a week. She still could be acclimating to her new home, especially if she is an adult and has been in another home before. The thing is if that is the only sign you see in her of possible stress, and she is doing fine otherwise, it will likely subside - or you will find out it is part of what makes her who she is!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Are you giving her full strokes along her spine? This can "over-amp" many cats. My girl is one of them, and it can trigger grooming. Now that I've learned exactly where she gets sensitive, I can stroke from her head to just behind her shoulders without triggering her.

kef33890

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No I didn't know that! Yeah I pet her across her entire spine. I will try what you do and pet her from head to shoulders. Thank you!

Eurocat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi
Apart from all the above and maybe as a self soothing behaviour could it also just be that she is trying to eliminate your scent as she doesn‘t know you so well?
My little semi-feral used to do that alot until she finally decided I was her human but she still does it to some extent if my partner (who doesnt live here) strokes her…
It would be interesting to see how it progresses in a couple of weeks when she starts feeling more at home with you. Try playing with her as much as possible and generally spending time with her.. Apart from increasing bonding this also gives her something else to think about than grooming ..
All the best! :)

ObeseChess

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
is she long haired? Mine grooms herself much, MUCH more - probably three or four times as much - in the colder months when her winter coat comes in. Otherwise I would just view it as stress/self-soothing/adjusting to a new place, keep an eye on it but don't worry about it too much IMO.

kef33890

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
is she long haired? Mine grooms herself much, MUCH more - probably three or four times as much - in the colder months when her winter coat comes in. Otherwise I would just view it as stress/self-soothing/adjusting to a new place, keep an eye on it but don't worry about it too much IMO.
She is a domestic short-haired. Thank you!